April 28, 2024, 06:08:05 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Making bootable cd from ISO how to ?  (Read 8690 times)

Offline newbie

Making bootable cd from ISO how to ?
« on: January 31, 2004, 07:46:07 AM »
HI..
I have baught a new writer and now i have a ISO file for a small linux distribution came along a software cd now i want to install it so i have to make bootable disk of it.
So I have only a ISO file . Tell me how can i make it bootable cd so that i can install that distro ?

Thank you! in advance

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 05:44:13 AM »
As I told that ISO files are image files that needs to be burn on cds in different way .. not copying. So I am telling you to use cdrecord .. a command line , simple utility yet powerfull...
first you have to run following to know the device No. of your writer..
Code: [Select]
cdrecord -scanbus it will give you little Nos like
0, 1, 0
0, 2, 0 etc.
not the no. in front of your writer name is listed now.. run the following command..  (you should be logged as root)
Say your device no is 0,4,0
Code: [Select]
cdrecord -v -eject speed=32 dev=0,4,0 youriso.isoHere we are writing at the speed of 32x in cdwriter , it will eject the cd after burning it.
You can also you xcdroast , in that go to ISO9660 options section and also see its documentation.

Offline Umar.Fida

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 04:51:41 PM »
Hi
Dear Ricky,

I have downloaded a iso image of linux. But it has some errors so did not be burned directly. So i opened it using Undisker(there r some other utilities is well). My question is that  now i have get files on my HDD if i burn these files would it boot or not

UMAR FIDA

Offline neo

• Linux Learner
    • http://www.investorsgain.com
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 12:04:55 PM »
You may want to try GUI Cd burning softwares (Like Nero on Windows). For linux good CD burning GUIs are "xcdroast" and "k3b". You may try any of them, they are good.

Offline Umar.Fida

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 03:50:37 PM »
Hi
Dear neo,
My probelum is that it is not being burned directly as ISO image through any GUI software. So i extract it to my HDD. Now i am asking if i burn these files and folders to CD would it burn or not.

UMAR FIDA