April 30, 2024, 06:06:32 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: How to get Static IP address?  (Read 5874 times)

Offline baby_penguin

• Linux Noob !
How to get Static IP address?
« on: October 30, 2004, 04:38:42 AM »
Hello,

I am new with Linux, I installed Redhat 9.0 and am able to use internet. I am using DSL service, which does not support static IP address. So I was wondering if there is any way, I can have a static IP address for my home computer. I am not planning to run server 24/7, but sometimes when I am out and need to access my computer. I seen some companies which sell the product but I was not sure if redhat has some utility or some freebie.

Currently this is what configuration says, but it changes everytime I restart:
IP Address:   64.229.204.18
Subnet Mask:   255.255.255.255
DNS Server Address #1:   209.226.175.224
DNS Server Address #2:   198.235.216.110
Modem IP Address:   192.168.2.2

Please let me know, if this can be taken care of. Also I apologize if this question has already been asked. I did scan the forum but could not find similar question.

Thank you in advance.

gur

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2004, 09:40:26 AM »
Well when you are on static IP address then you can access your computer throughout the world easily , but if your ISP uses dynamic ip address system then you can do two things..

1. Ask your ISP to give you static IP, they may charge little extra for that or
2. buy a domain and use Dynamic DNS services provided by various servers around the world, they actually every time change the ip address associated to your domain as it changes.

Offline baby_penguin

• Linux Noob !
???
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 04:26:37 PM »
Hi

Ricky thanks for you suggestion.

So there is no freebie, which could be used to get static IP. but is it possible . lets say .. i start my computer and what ever IP address, it shows on my computer... I can again access using that particular IP address for that day.

Let me know what do you think.

Gur

Offline Arora

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 11:21:11 AM »
You can run #setup go to network configuration ad you can set any static ip.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 03:37:27 PM »
Well when static IP is provided by ISP then you can do that to configure your pc to use one.

If your ISP don't support then you can't get your pc connected with the static iP.