April 27, 2024, 06:16:35 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Please help me with Linux network and cable probs  (Read 6361 times)

Offline engineerjude

• Linux Noob !
Please help me with Linux network and cable probs
« on: April 11, 2004, 07:20:59 PM »
I am working on a linux server, the system itself is far from the engine room where the switch is, so when i set ip up and ping, it says destination host unreacheable. And when I take the Linux server to a closer location very close to the switch in the engine room, it browse. And I also treid connecting winxp to that former place I was installing the Linux and inxp was able to ping and browse with same cable..

Can a switch cause such??

pls help me.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 06:25:50 AM »
Well.. there is data loss delay when you are using long cable but that is almost negligible,
Well here it seems to me networking mistake, may be your card is not configured.. may be u were trying wrong system ping. ie.other system as different address as you thought of.

Well if it is working in winxp then you should understand that switch is fine, cable is fine.. your linux is not fine.. consider all the linux setup again specially the ip of the remot machine which u r trying to ping..
BTW.. it is asked in wrong forum so it should be moved.

Offline engineerjude

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 08:10:56 AM »
Thanks for the response.

I don't know if you get my questions clear. As far as I am concern, the Linux server is working fine cos as soon as I take it to another location closer to the switch it works.

I can't say it is cable problem cos I connected winxp to the former position of the Linux and it works.

And the config of the Linux server is acurate cos when I take it to a closer location it works with same Ip and config.

Please try more.

Thanks.

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 12:55:03 AM »
Have u check the network card? Maybe it's loose on the linux box.

And besides that, is the cable u r using same for linux box and xp?

Lastly, is Linux server the fixed ip or takes ip from other DHCP server?

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 02:00:15 PM »
FROM "ENGINEERJUDE"...

As for the card it is well fixed. And the cable is same for winxp. I also crimped a new one with different colour ranges and used for both Linux and the XP and Linux didn't work but xp works. The Linux only works whenever I takes it to another location nearer to the swicth. But the Xp works at that far location of the Linux.

SO I get confused. Right now, I am suspecting that the kind of switch I have there doesn't transmit far on WAN Ip's with Linux.

Please help.

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 01:29:07 AM »
Weird, by the way, how "far" is the "Far"?
Pleae tell me the exact distance in meters. Thank you.

Any other significant/important info u would like to share in this problem?

Offline andybr

Re: Please help me with Linux network and cable probs
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 07:18:27 PM »
hello,

What is linux configuration? like ip, mask and default gateway??
What ip do you want to ping from linux?

[]'s
Anderson

Quote from: "engineerjude"
I am working on a linux server, the system itself is far from the engine room where the switch is, so when i set ip up and ping, it says destination host unreacheable. And when I take the Linux server to a closer location very close to the switch in the engine room, it browse. And I also treid connecting winxp to that former place I was installing the Linux and inxp was able to ping and browse with same cable..

Can a switch cause such??

pls help me.