March 29, 2024, 03:51:31 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: redhat 9 and lucent win modem  (Read 4926 times)

Offline kurmuk

redhat 9 and lucent win modem
« on: May 05, 2005, 05:12:22 PM »
After many crashes and lot of time spending on installing and reistalling of windows xp  I convinced that to be shift to more stable OS.The difficult choice for me was linux.I t was difficult choice cuase I know nothing about linux codes and those black screen.

The important thing I downloded Redhat 9 with great ease and found it very fanatastic and lovely .The exception was with modem.....?

NO MODEM WAS DETECTED

mY modem is lucent winmodem....and am ready to purchase a new modem hardware well supported by linux(any body tell me the list of modems supported by linux)

1.if the modem is supported by linux will redhat detect it automatically or I need to write those codes ?

:?:

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
redhat 9 and lucent win modem
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 09:27:13 AM »
well.. Linux is nowdays better in hardware support than windows.. execpt modems.. actually there is already big talk about it. in brief.. winmodems need some hardware details to be disclosed so that people can write driver for them but companies don't do that.

Any external modem can be installed easily.. !
(but wait for other who are using them.. like dalek) ..
I never gotta chance to use modem for internet.. so don't take my advice as last resource. :)