March 29, 2024, 08:48:18 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Squid Filtering MSN  (Read 6113 times)

Offline laserd

Squid Filtering MSN
« on: July 09, 2004, 03:10:09 AM »
Greetings:

I'm working as the Assistant Administrator at a site with 50 users. We've had several issues with MSN messenger but don't want to block it outright. What I want to do is filter MSN. By setting the client up to use an squid based http proxy, I want to be able to filter based on three things.

First off, don't allow messages through with certain bad words through, of a bad word is detected, cut access for the client ip to MSN for 5 minutes.

Second, don't allow login of certain accounts, essentially this would mean looking through all the MSN traffic for the name of said account.

Third, if possible, allow only logins via certain accounts, this would mean an understanding of the protocol and some regex work that I don't have. I would imagine it would mean accept login messages, that meet certain criteria...For example in grossly simplfied

"login accepteduser" would be allowed (Assuming this is how the protocol logs in)
but "login otheruser" would be disallowed.
however lines that don't contain the term "login" (Or whatever it may be) aren't subject to this requirement.

Any ideas?

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Squid Filtering MSN
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 05:28:42 AM »
Man.. If you wanna do all that using squid then consult Squid's official tutorial which is a long one found at squid-cache.org

Most of your requirements can't be met through squid. .like denying only a specified acount in messenger,  you can eihter block all or block nothing... To block only specified you have to go through working of messenger and i dont' think i can help in that ! You can block a website using url_regex , or word containing in the url of website..

I suggest u to have proxy based authentication .. that will do your job..
:)