March 19, 2024, 05:02:21 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: hp Deskjet 1000 Overprinting  (Read 9152 times)

Offline madsci

• Linux Noob !
hp Deskjet 1000 Overprinting
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:19:49 AM »
Working on the printer HP sent as a replacement for my original one where it would print the first page of a document fine but pages 2 and beyond were severely  reprinted over and over on top of themselves.  Now this one does the same thing so guess HP has no solution or would have told me before.  Think the problem is a software one.  Either a mismatch with Slackware 13.37, bug in HPLIP (its the correct version for this printer), or a little know software switch that needs setting.  Anyone who has had this problem found a solution?

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
Re: hp Deskjet 1000 Overprinting
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 02:37:23 AM »
I ran into this once after a upgrade.  I deleted the printer and re-added it.  It worked after that.  Also, don't use cups to set it up.  Use the hp tools.  I use hp-setup. 

Hope that helps

:)  :) 

Offline madsci

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:19:09 AM »
Countless blessings upon U!!  I was beginning to become paranoid thinking this only happens to me.
Was that hp-setup -g that U used?  I already did that once but might do it again just for drill.
May I ask if U have any experience with the other hp-xxxxx commands?  I went thru one of the HPLIP lists (like a FAQ) and extracted them all and found some that are apparently depricated but have not found a man page like document that explains them nor their options.  Are U aware of any such document?
AGAIN T_H_A_N_K_S!!

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:17:29 AM »
I just used plain hp-setup.  I did mine as root so that it would work for any user. 

I have not used the other commands directly.  I also have the GUI part installed and I use it.  According to the Kmenu settings, the command is hp-toolbox so if you have a GUI installed, KDE, Gnome or something, you may want to try that. 

I don't have any docs installed here but but it gives some info if you add the -h option to those commands.  It's not much tho.  So far, I have never used any options, just run the basic command. 

Your welcome and glad to help. 

:)  :)

Offline madsci

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 05:27:16 AM »
Discovered last night there are just a few of the hp-xxxx type commands which apply to the Deskjet 1000 j110a.  I found them at the HPLIP site (I am an idiot I always forget to write down important stuff like URLs).  Search on HPLIP and commands.  Here is an example:
hp-align: Printer Cartridge Alignment Utility (ver. 5.0)

Cartridge alignment utility for HPLIP supported inkjet printers.
(Note: Not all printers require the use of this utility).

Usage: hp-align [DEVICE_URI|PRINTER_NAME] [MODE] [OPTIONS]

[PRINTER|DEVICE-URI]
To specify a device-URI:    -d<device-uri> or --device=<device-uri>
To specify a CUPS printer:  -p<printer> or --printer=<printer>

[MODE]
Run in graphical UI mode:   -u or --gui (Default)
Run in interactive mode:    -i or --interactive

[OPTIONS]
Use Qt4:        --qt4 (Default)
Set the logging level:  -l<level> or --logging=<level>
                          <level>: none, info*, error, warn, debug
                                            (*default)
Run in debug mode:      -g (same as option: -ldebug)
This help information:  -h or --help

The only other one tested which worked was hp-setup and it is about 3x longer with lots of options. 
Yes, I have hp-toolbox.
Was dismayed that so few commands like linefeedcal, pqdiag, devicesettings, and printersettings do not apply to this printer.
Have been told that one can use PCL to effect modifications but it is uglier than than C# to work with.  I used it eons ago and did download it but unlikely to use it.
I believe I have a way around the overprinting problem by using a script to make all pages of a document the effective first page.  I gather U do not have the problem of it overprinting repeatedly pages from 2 onward.  At least I will be able to use it if my script works.