April 16, 2024, 03:59:41 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Unable to connect to office LAN  (Read 3508 times)

Offline digimart

• DigiMart
Unable to connect to office LAN
« on: May 25, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
I have installed Linux Mint 6.0 on a desktop machine. The same is complete. I myself am the administrator of this desktop too.
I wish to connect it to my office LAN so that I can use internet on this linux machine.
There is no firewall installed in my office.
I move my cursor at the right bottom of screen over the NETWORK icon, and goto Network Connections, I can see in the Wired Tab "Auto eth0 ". I click edit and go within the properties of Eth0. I can see the MAC address of LAN Card, with MTU being AUTOMATIC.
Now my office LAN is a simple Worklgroup and not a domain.
In my office there is a DSL Modem, and to it is linked a Wireless Router, and then a normal 10/100 ethernet switch. So that the wireless laptops can get linked to Wireless Router, and the wired machines be linked to 10/100 ethernet switch. In other wireless laptops, LAN connections we have set the default gateway as 192-168-0-25   .  So should i give this IP into the DHCP Client ID of ETH0 properties ??
What and where should I given DNS settings ?
Please advise
Regards.

Omar

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
Re: Unable to connect to office LAN
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 12:06:06 PM »
Are you using DHCP server in Office?

If not then you can give the static ip using system-config-network command .

Give the ip similar to same network class i.e  192.168.0.0,netmask and Gateway , then restart your N/W service and check
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 12:09:30 PM by gauravbajaj »

Offline digimart

• DigiMart
Re: Unable to connect to office LAN
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 06:27:44 AM »
1.  How and where I give system-config-network command ?

2.  How i restast N/W service ?

If not then you can give the static ip using system-config-network command .

Give the ip similar to same network class i.e  192.168.0.0,netmask and Gateway , then restart your N/W service and check