I have not been able to solve my friend's problem. I give detailed version here.
SIS 630 chipset P III 1 Ghz 256 MB RAM Win XP Pro and Win ME preinstalled
1. I boot from RHL 9 Cd # 1 Card probed SIS 630 and monitor 105e by anaconda
When x starts , no graphical screen only blank black monitor!!!
2. I put a workaround , I type "linux text" linux installs and also GRUB rightly installed
after booting it shows GRUB screen " Select DOS or Red Hat Linux"
3. When linux boots , starting X comes ,after it no graphics only blank black monitor.
4. I reinstall linux by 16 bit high color and 800 x 600 resolution but again same result.
5. even I press "I" to start linux in interactive mode,no result it continues to run in level 5.
6. No command prompt(ie $root etc) is available only "grub>" is available.
Ricky u have said to correct /etc/x1186 file , but dear when there is no command prompt how do i correct it .These type of things put people really off to linux. I m a linux maniac man (RHL 9 runs fine on my Intel 810 but sound problem u know) I have prompted my friend Sandeep to install and learn linux but he is saying that remove it plz bcoz of these problems . i spent whole 3 hours fixing it but no avail . CAN U SAVE THE TUX ON SIS 630?