Network Troublshooting > Linux Proxy Server Support

/var/log/squid dir

<< < (3/4) > >>

nkhetia:
ok its set to No proxy...

but when i set my IE/Netscape preferences to No proxy... then its working fine... strange....!!!! rite...

now we have decided for server upgrade...

RH8+squid is there in server
its PII, 128 mb ram... and 20 gb hdd...
the input DSL speed is shared 128 kbps...

if i want to have total 50 windows client... what  upgradation is  required.??

is it possbile to  allote, speed for each nodes..specifically...?

thanks

regards

nilesh

0091-98252 45551

Ricky:
well.. yahoo uses IE setting for its most of the job, only for few works it uses its own settings. anyway..

For 50 machines your pII should be atleast 300mhz or greater, RAM, get atleast 256 mb , b'coz RH8 alone needs around 64 mb RAM in TEXT mode to work flawlessly with most of the services running.

Ya you can have speed set for specific clients , it can be achieved throuh delay pools, dig few last posts of mine this forum related to that !

nkhetia:
ok ...
many many thanks Ricky...

will inform you soon after upgrading the system...

thanks again,

best regards

nilesh

nkhetia:
Hey Ricky,

I am back after short vacation.  Now we have  upgraded server ram to 512 mb. server is having rh9+squid+nat.

so please tell me ...(1) how to allot time for each user? For example The time allotment can be total 2 hrs in a day or from  11.00 am to 12.00 am and then 4.00 pm to 5.00 pm for particular user.

(2) net-speed  control for each user.

(3) Speed of inactive client should be alloted to others.

kindly tell me, such control is avaible in squid.?

best regards

nilesh

Ricky:
Well..

All 1st and second can be done easily with squid but about last one.. I am not sure.

About 1st one.. defining time then

--- Code: ---   # below line defines that which has to be restrict during the time slot
acl usertoblock src 192.168.1.15
   # It defines on what time
acl midday time 11:00-14:00
   # below instruct squid to deny userblock at the time midday which have defined earlier
http_access deny usertoblock midday
   # Lastly we are saying that allow that user to access net apart of the specified time.
http_access allow usertoblock
--- End code ---
here in above you can block certain user to not to have access for 3 hrs that is from 11 am to 2:00 pm
You can also make list of users or make whole network.

For second thing you have to learn delay pools, actually delay pools are easy but you have to lots of experiments to understand them, right now I can't remember exact way implementing so better you look out some delay pool guid on net or best is look squid.conf.default :)
PS: you have to make separate delay pool for each user to limit bandwidth for them.

Third one is also about delay pools, plz do read articles about delay pools and you will understand.

Also look this post Squid delay pools

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version