April 27, 2024, 08:10:18 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Server-side languages  (Read 3014 times)

Offline RedHatRover

Server-side languages
« on: January 25, 2005, 02:28:43 AM »
Hello.  I'm a newbie at creating a website (via RedHat 9...Apache)....here's what I'd like to do.  My questions will be written at the bottom.

1.  The user logs into the website.  He/she will set options to a form to get specific files.

2.  Once the user press SUBMIT, the website calls up a script/code that will search through a drive.   The script/code will collect all the filepaths that fit the user's submitted form.  To search for a qualified file, the script/code might have to look into the bits/bytes of the file.  Thus require, heavy coding.

3.  Then, with the collected files, the website pulls up a form page that has a list of selected filepaths...so that makes it dynamic webpage.  Beside those filepaths, there will be a check box for the user to select.

4.  The user then, selects files to move to specified folder and press the submit button.

5.  And finally, the website calls up another script/code that will copy the selected files (throught the selected filepaths) to another folder.

Two questions (the second question is important):
1.  I've heard of ASP, PHP and JSP...is there anything else?  Python maybe?  CGI is primitive isn't it?

2.  What would be the best server-side language to fullfill my "dream"?

Thank you for your help.  I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Server-side languages
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 10:49:29 AM »
Well simply you can do it with PHP as with php you can run system commands easily on linux using webinterfacer and more over it is faster to learn, on other hand you can use perl etc also.. but my suggestion

PHP .. so the LinuxSolved.com is using

Offline RedHatRover

Making sure...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 05:59:41 PM »
We are actually talking about three computers here.  The first one is the web/PHP server, the second is the storage computer (where files are located) and third is the user's computer where pulls out the webpage.

I will have to mount the storage computer's drive to the local computer (where the web/PHP server resides).  I want the website/PHP to search the files (bit/byte search level) in the mounted drive.  The files aren't in the user's computer...website will be called in the user's local computer.

Just making sure....can PHP handle this type of coding?

Thank you for your suggestion.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Server-side languages
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 09:11:46 AM »
YES

Offline deven_01

• Linux Learner
Server-side languages
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 08:39:53 AM »
php and jsp boths r good one but as compare to jsp, php is simple to understand and learn so go with php
Ok buddies
 good bye