April 30, 2024, 11:39:54 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Still facing internet sharing probs  (Read 6702 times)

Offline engineerjude

• Linux Noob !
Still facing internet sharing probs
« on: April 21, 2004, 05:28:00 PM »
Hello Friend,

good day to you. Please I need some help here. I am still facing probs with internet sharing.

I was installing a Linux server. The eth0 of the server is used as LAN while eth1 is WAN.

On the LAN card of the server, I used Ip ranges 172.16.0.0, subnet:255.255.0.0, and gateway:172.16.0.1 Then on the clients, I assing Ip from 172.16.0.2 upward, subnet:255.255.0.0, gateway=Ip add of eth0 LAN, DNS from ISP.

At the end of it all, I can browse from the server. From server, I can ping ip address of clients and can ping LAN IP of server from client. But cant ping DNS from client and can't browse. So I get pieced off here.

Can someone tell me what's remaining? I was trying to make the server routes to clients from eth0.

My Linux Distro is redhat ver9.2

Please help me.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 04:37:40 AM »
Did you execute any script on the Server ? such Internet sharing in Linux ?

Offline sudipta_cht

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 06:58:12 AM »
Check the lan wire going into your dns, if you cannt ping it from anywhere. Also, checking the firewall rules a bit might help

Offline engineerjude

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 03:12:52 PM »
Hello,

yeah I run some internet sharing scripts yet can't ping DNS. Please can you make it simpler?

My Linux distro is redhat ver9.2

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 03:30:30 PM »
Well it is like this.. if you are running that script or simply having NAT than you need to give ip of ur linux box as gateway in client and also dns server of ISP or ur local nameserver and u can run then internet sharing easily.. ofcorse it should be on same network..
And if you are not able to do taht then u may be having a firewall..

but when u execute that script it flush ur all firewall rules.. so it should not be the problem.. btw.. try to execute that script manually and then check it out.. BTW. y you are not using class C network addressing ?

Offline engineerjude

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 04:01:20 PM »
During installation, I selected no firewall. As for the Ip's I am using Ip ranges from: 172.16.0.1 for LAN (eth0) of the server. And on Clients gateway, I used: 172.16.0.1

Incase I might have implemented firewall mistakingly, please give me commnads to stop all firewalls permanently and a complete commands for a good internet sharing.

Thanks a lot.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 08:54:54 AM »
It is clearly your DNS problem.. well in your host.. ie. gateway remove all the lines from /etc/rsolve.conf while you are not connected to internet and then add "nameserver 127.0.0.1" and then tell your clients to use your gateway also for DNS. then tell us..
BTW.. what is the output of
Code: [Select]
cat  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Offline engineerjude

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 10:29:55 AM »
What does the following codes stands for?

/etc/rsolve.conf

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Please just make it fully clear to me. An give me the commands for internet sharing, commands for stoping unwanted firewalls scripts.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 11:16:36 AM »
/etc/resolv.conf is a file {sorry for spell mistake last time}
and the cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is a command which will tell us the status of ipforwarding or NAT , if its output is 1 then your NAT is enabled..

Offline engineerjude

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 03:48:29 PM »
Okay now I got meanings of those commands. Please send full commands for internet sharing.

And differentiate btw NAT, Routing, and masquerading.

Thanks.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 07:08:22 AM »
NAT = Network Address Translation = Routing
Masquerading is masqing a ip .. as on we are if doing NAT for dynamic IP then we do masquerading as our ips is not static..

BTW.. that how to is the command to do the sharing in linux. Well you have not yet given me the out put of the cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward