April 28, 2024, 10:47:06 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Help Needed!! Mail server  (Read 2780 times)

Offline scream

Help Needed!! Mail server
« on: October 25, 2008, 08:38:45 PM »
Is it possible to run 2 mail server for a domain? let me describe little:
Lets  i have two office location, Say one is in "A" location and other one is in "B" location. if i want to setup one mail server in "A" location for "A"s user and one in "B" location for "B"s user. is it possible? if possible then what should be DNS entry? please help me.

Offline pichel

• Linux Noob !
Re: Help Needed!! Mail server
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 01:10:41 AM »
Is it possible to run 2 mail server for a domain? let me describe little:
Lets  i have two office location, Say one is in "A" location and other one is in "B" location. if i want to setup one mail server in "A" location for "A"s user and one in "B" location for "B"s user. is it possible? if possible then what should be DNS entry? please help me.

Hello,
at first glance, I'd say that you cannot give two machines the same name, so you won't be able to call them both "mail.mysweetdomain.com"
But you can call one "mail-A.mysweetdomain.com" and the other "mail-B.mysweetdomain.com", each of one running a mail server. This will be fine for outgoing mails.
For ingoing mails, one will have to be kind of your master one, the one with the MX entry, and that will receive all the mails for your domain. Then you'll be able to redirect relevant adresses to the other mail server so that your users will get them locally.

Hope this help a little. I won't be able to be more precise, because the exact configuration depends on the mail server you'll use, and you should not ask me to tell you anything relevant about Exim  ;D

Michel