April 19, 2024, 11:51:59 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Configured BIND on RedHat 9.0 but encountered a problem  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Mba

• Linux Noob !
Configured BIND on RedHat 9.0 but encountered a problem
« on: March 20, 2004, 05:06:32 PM »
Hi Ricky, I used the BIND server option that comes with RedHat 9.0 and configured my LINUX box to server as a Slave DNS on my Network. I tested it locally by issuing the " host yahoo.com" command from terminal which returns the webservers IP address. I tried the same test with other website addresses like, "host google.com" , "host msn.com" etc. and it returned the correct webserver addresses. When I now specified the IP address of the LINUX box as DNS on other machines on my network, it didnt work at all. I knew it was time to talk to a master. Please what do I do?

Mba

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 06:37:59 PM »
Are you using it as cache nameserver ie.. What steps you do to make it your slave server.. (modifiend which files etc. )
Please tell us so that I can get clear senerio..

BTW.. apart of me there are lots of other who can help you.. it is just a case that mostly i am fist to answer! So please try not to ask question only to a specific person .

Offline Mba

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 09:37:43 AM »
Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. On my RedHat 9.0 machine, I went to "System Settings" then to "Server Settings" I then chose "Domain Name Service". while in Domain Name Service, I chose the "Slave" option, then I went on to specify Master DNS servers that it should query for Domain Name resolutions. I then went on to test it with the " host yahoo.com" etc commands, that I told you in my former mail, and it was successful.

Believing that my Slave DNS server was working, I specified it as DNS on other machines (running on Windows) and to my greatsest dismay, it failed. Now I just cant say how come the server is resolving on the "host xxxx.com" command but does not answer queries from client machines. Please help me in any way you can because my boss is on my neck.

Mba