Others > Miscellaneous

mounting NTFS partition on Linux

(1/2) > >>

man_pio:
I am tired of using windows and planning to move over to linux the only 2 things thats delaying me is MSN messenger and accessing my files on windows partition.....
I read how to mount a windows NTFS partition on Linux which i tried adding the following code

Code:
mkdir /mnt/C

I ran the command
Code:
fdisk -l
got
Device           Boot      Partition  and some other stuff which I 4got    
/dev/hda1         *        HPFS/NTFS

I then edited the /etc/fstab using vi editor with the following code:

Code:
/dev/hda1     /mnt/C   ntfs    users,owner,ro,umask=000  0 0

(since I have a windows ntfs partition)

when I tried to open the /mnt/C directory it is empty and when I restart my system it gives the following error:
"MOUNTING OTHER FILE SYSTEM MOUNT:FS TYPE NOT SUPPORTED BY KERNEL"
please what does this mean and what do I do to be able to access the files in my windows ntfs partion

Ricky:
You need a kernel patch.. named as kernel ntfs.. do a googe.. "kernel ntfs rpm" it is a small file in rpm and can be installed on double clicking it..

neo:
better u just need a module ntfs.o compile that module and put it in
/lib/modules/<Kernel Version>/kernel/fs/ntfs/ntfs.o
it will start working

dragoncity99:
U should recompile ur kernel to be able to mount NTFS partitions, but i must remind u that mounting NTFS in Linux is a bit dangerous.

man_pio:
thanks for your reply I have not yet tried this but this statement scared me "i must remind u that mounting NTFS in Linux is a bit dangerous" thats the main reason why I haven't tried it really.
Pls. could you explain why (i.e the consequenses of doing this) its a bit dangerous to mount ntfs in linux.
thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version