April 28, 2024, 06:32:03 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Linux will work with my existing windows network ?  (Read 3851 times)

Offline J0sh

Linux will work with my existing windows network ?
« on: August 30, 2005, 02:30:11 AM »
Hi guys, I have decided to switch to linux, but will have it as dual boot  :roll: ..

Anyways, this is what I want to do:
(a) I have a network that is quite small. Here is how it works :

MODEM
MY PC
HUB
PC2,PC3,P4.
-
All the other pc's have windows and always will  :cry: ..
I have the network running fine with windows (shudder), but will it be possible for linux to work fine?

-
Also, I want to have a webserver, and this shouldnt be a problem.
-
Last thing:
What version of linux and what distrubution should i buy(or download for free or i get from a linux magazine :lol: )

Thanks Guys :wink:

Offline ronaldjayr_jover

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 07:52:15 AM »
Good day,

As for me they can work well but not in harmoniuos type.  In our network here at the office our firewall, dns are working on linux 9.0.  If your planning to have a webserver, but your choosing between windows and linux? Maybe you can choose apache web server on redhat linux 9.0.

But just remember Linux and Windows are so very two different world---one is good and FREE and the other one is also good and but involves MONEY.

GOOD DAY

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 07:11:07 AM »
you can opt for Ubuntu linux, othere I suggest would be FC4 as its kinda standard in linux today, CentOS or simply Smoothwall if looking for gateway + firewall for your office / home lan.