March 28, 2024, 10:18:58 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Motorola SM56  (Read 6385 times)

Offline yaqtar

Motorola SM56
« on: July 01, 2005, 10:04:06 PM »
I have a modem Motorola SM56, I downloaded the driver and installed it. All messages said "ok", but I donĀ“t know how to make the relationship between the modem and the driver. What is wrong or missing?

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Motorola SM56
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 01:45:00 PM »
Hmm.. Neo can help you out. Try sending him PM or wait till he see this.

Offline neo

• Linux Learner
    • http://www.investorsgain.com
Motorola SM56
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 09:38:15 AM »
If you installed the rpm from the motorola site for the linux version you are using then everything is done automatically. It creates the entries in the /dev directory.

You may use kppp to connect to the net or any other dialer. The device you choose should be /dev/modem or /dev/sm56 .

The module will be automatically loaded into the kernel.

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
Motorola SM56
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 01:55:22 PM »
In linux world. The driver u refer to can be a:

1. Module in linux kernel (where u can load it dynamically when u want to use it).
Commands related to it are:
lsmod -->display all the modules (drivers) ur kernel loaded and using/not using
insmod -->insert a module
rmmod --> removes a module
modprobe --> automatically detect and load the right module for your hardware if found.

OR

2. Source really compiled into the kernel.

ALSO

3. A binary (library file)
If vendor do provide this fella.

Sometimes it means that, even u have installed it, the system haven't load or identy the existence of the driver.

Try something like /sbin/ldconfig as root. Also make sure ur driver path is within the systems know library path. LD_LIBRARY....
else, u r just installing the drivers but not loading it to make that fella rock n rolling. ;)

Offline quantum

Motorola SM56
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 05:01:13 AM »
I have a SuSe 9.2 in a pc and Everything appears ok with my SM56 installation (driver is included in the CD distribution), however i can't make a connection, apparently I am doing everything in a correct manner. I haven't found any report in the web, about a succesfull connection neither a helpful info. I have tried, almost everything imaginable and have no idea what's wrong. I need a detailed description step by step about a succesfull connection. Any ideas? What misterious trick should I do? Does anyone know a helpful page in addition to this forums?