March 28, 2024, 04:05:36 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Modem Headache  (Read 7752 times)

Offline kbb

• Linux Noob !
Modem Headache
« on: June 11, 2005, 07:38:50 AM »
I have a PCTel HSP MicroModem (Internal Modem on COM3 in Win98). It gives me no Problems. But in Linux I'm having a hard time getting the OS to detect My Modem. Everytime I ask KPPP to Query the modem on ttyS2, I get the "Modem is Busy" error even though the modem is doing nothing. I tried chaning to COM4 but no avail. But, mysteriously, KPPP detects modems on COM1(not in use) & COM2(mouse)! I don't know what to do.
Please Help Me. I'm Using Red Hat 9(Sheirk) with Win98 on a Celeron 400MHz 128MB RAM Machine.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Modem Headache
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 09:19:33 AM »
you may have to manually intstall the driver for it.. there are driver available for this internal  modem for linux. Check the CDs etc. came with this modem, they must containing instructions also.

Offline kbb

• Linux Noob !
Modem Headache
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 07:29:13 AM »
I mounted the CD in X-Window mode and Linux did accept it. But, the drivers are supplied as *.inf files, which are of no significance in Linux, so the Driver CD is useless. Plz tell me any other way out. I tried using kudzu, it just dectes my mouse as asks me what to do, but it has not recognized my modem until now.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Modem Headache
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 06:08:38 PM »
I mean you have to install driver for MODEM which are meant for LINUX. I have seen that PCTEL provides driver  for linux also.
You may want to try to search internet for your modem's driver for linux.

Offline neo

• Linux Learner
    • http://www.investorsgain.com
Modem Headache
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 09:39:35 AM »
http://www.linux.com/howtos/PCTel-MicroModem-Config/downloaddrivers.shtml
You will get the drivers here...

Offline kbb

• Linux Noob !
Modem Headache
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 09:02:27 AM »
Thnx. I'll try it out.

Offline tomcat

• Linux Noob !
Modem Headache
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2005, 05:40:09 PM »
hello.... i have just started using linux red hat 9... my modem was not detected in the installation.. well i searched the net for help and found few...i am using the modem of pctel micro modem (rev2). now i am facing prob in configuring the kernel.... i have 2 quistens.. how can i find that what kernel i am using  coz its is simple redhat ..i cant find any folder of suse or mandrak or any other ... also there is no kernel-source folder.... the kernel version is 2.4.20-8....
there are files in /boot.. named vmlinux,initrd2.4.20-8,vmlinuz2.3.20-8
plz help i need to configure this kernel for my modem ......

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Modem Headache
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 06:50:21 AM »
If there is no source then it means you have not installed source while installation.

And simplest way to find your kernel version is to open "control Center" :)

Offline tomcat

• Linux Noob !
Modem Headache
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 09:43:51 AM »
i logon here after few days... well after 1 1/2 week of searching and trial and error i finally installed the modem.and conneted to net .... well i got the compiled version of 0.9.7.9 of pctel and used it.. .well Thank you! ricky