Others > Miscellaneous

I forgot my root password

(1/2) > >>

kennynoah:
how do i recover or change my password, i use redhat 7.3 and i have forgotten my password. :!:

johntaylor:
Type 'linux single' at the lilo or grub boot prompt. The computer should boot up and come to a command prompt (eg. bash etc). Type the following:

bash#: 'passwd root'

If that doesn't work or you do not use Grub or Lilo please tell me. I use it mainly because I cant boot from the SCSI drive.

kennynoah:
Thanks so much, I was able to change the passwd but i still cant log in, when i type in the login name and passwd it dosent promt me that its wrong it just goes back to the login name.

lab_linux login: xyz
password: XXX

after some seceonds it goes back to;

lab_linux login: xyz

johntaylor:
Hmm. I will have a look in my big linux book for Turbo Linux server - that's were I got the change root password thing from. :)

Are you able to log in as root even? You might of got the password or username wrong when you first made the user. I have done that a couple of times during installation because of my quick typing errors.

No Problems,

robbo:
Just thought i'd post in an old thread, I have this same problem.. I am using Mandrake 10.0 and i cant login to any users (forgot all passwords :/..) I dont use Lilo or Grub

Glad if u could help

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version