April 19, 2024, 11:21:00 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Newbie needs help! Hard-drive control via command line  (Read 6463 times)

Offline gorkypark

Newbie needs help! Hard-drive control via command line
« on: May 22, 2005, 02:54:20 PM »
Hi there folks, I was hoping someone out there could help me out!

I am a complete newbie where Linux - specificially Redhat - is concerned.  I have a machine running RedHat 9, with an 80gb SATA drive with the OS installed,  then there are 2 x 120gb SATA drives fitted.

I want, need, to find out how, via Putty, I can move data from the 80gb drive to either of the other two drives.

If someone could make this as simple to follow as possible it'd be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 10:29:10 AM »
want to move data as image or want to do simple copy ?

Offline gorkypark

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 10:33:14 AM »
Thanks for the reply, not sure what exactly an image is?  But I guess all I want to do is copy from one drive to another then delete the original?

Does that help?

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 11:04:37 AM »
copying the image means that u copy exactly as it is stored on original hd, sector by sector.. every thing gets stored on other drive as it was on original.

And in simply copy data is moved but on drive it stores according to availability of space location etc.

Offline gorkypark

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 11:07:17 AM »
Thanks for clarifying that, in that case I guess all I want to do is a simple copy, then delete the original files - I believe this is the better option for me as there may not be sufficient space on the target drive.

Sorry for such a lack of basic knowledge!