March 28, 2024, 10:19:37 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Speed... Windows VS Linux  (Read 8264 times)

Offline sevenzeros

• Linux Noob !
Speed... Windows VS Linux
« on: July 25, 2004, 02:58:06 PM »
Hi all,

i'm currently a lindows user.. previously using winXP pro.. i've wanted to migrate to linux for a while now.. i've tried redhat 9, suse 8.1, asplinux, collegelinux, and finally linspire(woohoo!! :D ).. i'v downloaded mandrake but haven't tried it yet, and sadly lindows is the only one i've successfully connected to the internet.. when i first started i went around asking ppl i kno and also a few ppl i met online who r using or hav used linux before.. most ppl suggested i try either redhat or suse.. easiest? most support? i forgot y...

the thing is.. all these linux OS i've tried seem to be much slower compared to winXP.. is this normal? is this to b expected from all linux distros? or is ther somthing i did wrong? issit a hardware compatibility issue?

i'm using Pentium 4 1.4GHz, 128Mb RDRAM, 20Gb Maxtor HDD... is ther anything else u need to know?

well, dats all for this post.. just wanted to kno if its normal.. ;) thanks..

regards,
sevenzeros

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 04:59:42 PM »
Welll well..
Linux is faster than windows .. it is not my personal experience but have seen lots of reveiew and testing . But yes Linux GUI is slower than windows..  It is much resource hungary than windows also.  and wht is that .. it is my personal experience.

So if you upgrage your RAM to 256 or preferably 512 then you can really enjoy linux and will forget windows.. KDE gui is very good but Gnome gui is fast .. xpde is new but feature constraint.. other .. i have only used very less so no comments abt them .

Offline sevenzeros

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 12:11:25 AM »
but then, if i use winXP with 256 or 512 RAM... wouldn't it still be faster than linux using the same?  :lol:

next question.. wats KDE? wats Gnome?

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 02:43:11 AM »
More memory will help almost any OS, except DOS maybe.  

I used Mandrake 9.1 for a while.  It is pretty slow but really easy for a newbie to setup.  I switched to Gentoo.  It is a bit harder to install and there is all the compiling but if done correctly, it is much faster and rock solid stable.

KDE is a GUI interface, kind of like the thing you have in XP.  It is the picture part of it that sits on top of the text or command line.  Yes, even XP has a command line.  Even Macs have it you just can't get to it to easily.

Gnome is just another version.  It is lighter and faster just without all the "features".  There are several Desktop Managers for Linux.  You just choose the one you want or install them all and play with them.

I can't compare the speed difference on this machine.  I don't run windoze at all.  Just Linux.  Most depends on what you are doing and what services you have running in the background.

Give Linux a try.  It is well worth it the experience.

Later

:D :D :D :D

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 02:44:23 AM »
Well. Ya it would be.. but then difference will be negligible..  

KDE is gui for linux, Gnome is also another . Ie.. unlike windows you can use different desktop environment on linux. It is just like having different body and fairying on same chasis so it makes you feel that you have different computer.

Let other come in and see what they say!

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 05:36:18 PM »
Man, WINDOZE really makes me fall asleep. It's so freaking slow on bootup especially when i install more and more programs.

The worst things, is the LAN browsing really sucks, ip refresh also sucks. Wat are they doing to the network.
Even my pet dog also know that thing is slow. Coz, he's waiting for me to feed him. Hahahaha

For me, well, im currently using Slackware, steady, stable, any applications are intalled without headaches, i can compile my kernel 247, as i eally like to test the features in the kernel. Hahaha, crazy me. Currently trying the HIBERNATE feature on my FTEC notebook.

KDE has always been so cool, so fancy navigations and lot's of fun in using it. If u have learn and really into using it, u can feel life is never the better. When im doing my programming(BASH PROGRAMMING, C/C++, MAKEFILE) I use kate, it works great.

Wat i can say is it's a very complete Desktop Environment.

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 03:36:52 AM »
Hi

ya Linux is fastere then Windowz .. , I have to add some views of me..
First is Booting..Boting of Windows is slow then Linux & also in Linux u can customize Booting.. means u can on or off the services at booting time.. ..U can customize booting in Wiindows also but still booting is slow...
Second thing in Servers we use Linux commnd line onle that is we dont use graphics at all.., & as all knws command line is fater .....
In linux there are lot of utilities available whiich u cant get in Windows..............., & also its command line is not resource hungry..

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 05:45:22 PM »
Quote from: "sevenzeros"
but then, if i use winXP with 256 or 512 RAM... wouldn't it still be faster than linux using the same?  :lol:

next question.. wats KDE? wats Gnome?

No my friend, not at all.

RAM alone is not good enough. If ur talking about 512, u should say > 768. That will work good. But, when u try to install lots and lots of programs, u will see XP run like a tortoise and grow like an elephant.
Let's say u have 30% left of diskspace on ur XP, ur windoze will start to do the stupid SWAPPING on the virtual memory and then u will start complaining, gee WHY MY XP IS SOOOO SLOOOOOW. :)

KDE and GNOME are all the desktop managers (Also know as the GUI generally)

If u don't have these two (actually there are other Desktop Managers out there)

Lastly, wut kind of ancient FILESYSTEM the XP is using man. File searching is sooo slow. NTFS? FAT? Man, these filesystems really sucks man.
It's not to say im a bias guy, but it's the fact. Worst thing is they don't even want to open the NTFS specification for improvements and comments.