Linux in General > Linux Tutorials & How To's

Mandrake 9.X Install How To. Step by Step

<< < (3/4) > >>

Ricky:
I don't think i can explain better than those links. You can have raid 0 and that is after installation.

If you again get stucked in following those links.. then ask here.

gmusser:
Hi everyone, thanks for those links.  Unfortunately, they don't describe the procedures for configuring RAID using the Mandrake installer/DiskDrake.  If I just forget about DiskDrake and try to follow the instructions on those sites, I immediately run into the question of how to partition the drive -- an issue that the sites don't address.

Maybe I should forget RAID and use the brute-force approach of using one drive as the operating drive and periodically backing it up to the second drive.  It's a pity that such DiskDrake is essentially undocumented....

George

Ricky:
Well , after installation you can use fdisk to do partitions so . you now look for how to use fdisk. It has simple version also called 'cfdisk' , see if it is installed otherwise use fdisk .. That is very powerful.

gmusser:
The more I think about it, the more I wonder why I'm wasting my time on Mandrake. This RAID/DiskDrake problem is only the latest in a string of bugs and sketchy documentation which I've encountered. If Mandrake is up to v10, I shudder to think what v1 must have been like. I think I may try another distribution -- any recommendations?

George

dalek:
Gentoo is a bit harder to install, some say it is anyway.  Slackware, Debian and there are others as well.

What I would do is search www.google.com/linux for the hardware you have and find some people that it works for.  Then see what they are using.  Then try to use that distro if you can.  Redhat being a commercial type distro, which uses RAID a lot, may be worth a look.  It is a good stable distro as well.  

As a Gentoo user, the install in harder than Mandrake, or Redhat, for sure.  But the guide they have is excellant and that makes it much better.  The package management program is very easy to use and update the whole system.  I can not say weither it suports your hardware easily or not though.  Gento has a independant forum, you may want to search there and see if they do.  You can post a question about the hardware and see if anyone uses it and if they can help you throught the install.

Having someone with the hardware working makes it much easier to get help.  It would be my recommendation to find someone who has it working and can walk you through the setup.

I wish I knew more but my rig doesn't support RAID si I am dumb as a rock on that one.

Hope that helps, it's not much but it is all I can offer.

Later
:D :D :D :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version