Hardware Troubleshooting in Linux > Other Devices

Not able to install Reliance LG phone on SuSE 9.0 Live Eval

(1/3) > >>

leenux:
Hi,
 I want to access the internet from SuSE 9.0 Live Eval (boots off a CD) using the LG LSP-340E.

So first I tried out the R-Connect software for Linux provided at the Reliance website relianceinfo.com/Infocomm/html/rservices/rservices_linux_rconnect.html

I downloaded it, untarred it and finally when I executed the install.sh script given, everything went fine until I was given the choices of COM1 and COM2 for the phone/modem. Since it is installed under COM1 in Windows I entered that only. But rigth next I started getting these messages:-

--- Code: ---wc:/var/log/messages:No such File or Directory
tail:/var/log/messages:No such File or Directory

--- End code ---

This block of messages started appearing in an infinite loop after every gap of 5 seconds until I had to get back to the prompt by Ctrl+Break.

It looks like the log daemon doesn't create the standard file /var/log/messages in SuSE Live Eval during bootup. And I think the install.sh script needs this file crucially for correct execution.

Anyway, this didn't work so I tried this solution given on this Website itself
Using Relicance phone as modem for Internet
After filling my /etc/wvdial.conf with the given details and executing the command
--- Code: ---wvdial reliance
--- End code ---
  I got this output but no connection to the net:-

--- Code: ---Warning: inherited section [Modem0] does not exist in wvdial.conf
-->Initializing modem
-->Sending: ATZ
-->Sending: ATQ0
ATQ0
OK
-->Re-Sending ATZ
ATZ
OK

--- End code ---

This block of messages is repeated 2 times and thereafter I am returned to the command prompt.

So nothing's working for me  :cry:

I have Mandrake 9.1 installed on the PC but its Boot Loader is corrupt so in the meantime I want to try the net on the SuSE 9.0 Live Eval.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ricky:
This message shows that you have specified wrong port .. change that to ttyS0 to someother port like ttyS1 etc.. and have lil play ..

then tell us..

leenux:
Hi,
 I tried to change the port to ttyS1,2,3 etc. by editing wvdial.conf  but it appears that ttys0 is the correct port only because in all the other cases either I got "I/O Error" (mostly this), "Modem not detected" or "Resource Busy".

Ofcourse the install.sh script provided by Reliance gives options of COM1 and COM2 only where I got the same "/var/log/messages not found"  error in both the cases.

What shall I do?

Thanks.

Ricky:
LG has serial port connectivity or USB ..
i think it has serial ..

That wvdial stuff worked when i tried that on samsung n191 , bfore that it was detected as "Samsung CDMA technology" during boot. so it was configured

So can you tell me that ur LG is detected or not ? I am not sure that if it requires to be detected and autoconfigured by OS.
but was that detected ?

Ok one more thing.. have u installed reliance software when you were logged in root ?

leenux:
I checked up YaST which is the hardware detection utility in SuSE and it had just the internal modem installed on my PC listed. So I guess the LG phone isn't auto-detected while booting.

But if I run the wvdialconf utility from the command line, it does detect the phone, and it also fills in the wvdial.conf file with some data like modem baud rate, init1 and inti2 strings etc. But on running wvdial after that I get the same results.

Also yes I installed the Reliance software while logged in as root since it wouldn't let it be any other way itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version