Others > Miscellaneous

_amd64?

<< < (2/2)

undoIT:
Imagine you are new to Linux and you download a 64bit version. When you see the file on your desktop it says "amd64". You know you have an Intel chip. You think, "Did I download the wrong version? Is this specific for AMD computers?". And with that, the experience of Linux is already off to a bad start.

To me, this confusion is completely unnecessary and could be avoided by simply using a naming convention that is not brand specific.

kaushalpatel1982:
See, This is about standardization. What naming conventions used by distros doesn't matters. When you download anything you should cross aware about what you are downloading. Most of the distros now has their own forum. If someone do know about it which ISO they have to download, they must raise question there. Hopefully they received answer and solve their confusion.

Rather discussion over this topic we should provide our valuable time to solve other problem.

undoIT:
Fedora uses "x86_64" and Ubuntu uses "amd64", so the use of "amd64" is not about standardization.

It would take me no more than 5 seconds to select "amd" in the filename and replace it with "x86_". To me, this seems like a worthwhile investment of time to prevent any confusion that may be caused by seeing a specific brand in the distro filename.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version