May 06, 2024, 05:14:14 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Quick and dirty internet/network simulation  (Read 5036 times)

Offline ICFire

• Linux Noob !
Quick and dirty internet/network simulation
« on: June 21, 2005, 07:19:18 PM »
Would this work.
Code: [Select]

{WS}--{ROUTER/DHCP/NAT}--{FW}--{Mini-Hub}--{FW}--{ROUTER/DHCP/NAT}--{WS}
                                     |
                                     |
                                 {DNS/ARP}

Or do I need to put a DNS/ARP machine at each end?

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 05:24:11 PM »
I think I need more detail about ur network structure, like detail about each machine etc. And also special NOTE if there is any you want to specify.

Offline ICFire

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 12:41:22 PM »
This is a lab for developement of simulations.  Also for me to learn in-depth about Linux/FreeBSD, Linux security, network security tools, etc w/o actually having to be connected to the internet.  I support a group of engineers who may need various network setups to simulate environments for development of equipment.  This is to help create test scenarios to see if different approaches would work on the connectivity side.

There will be no actual internet connection after installation and updating of the boxes initially.

{WS} = Workstation - One will be a linux box, one a XP box

{Router/NAT/DHCP} = D-Link DI-704P Router/Switch

{DNS} = a adhoc DNS server to allow the networks to talk to each other.  I may install two different eth NICs in it so they both use a different IP for each side.

{FW} = Linux Firewall - currently looking at Firewall Builder, Sentry, Shorewall, m0n0wall, haven't decided on a firm firewall approach yet.  I want a graphical interface if at all possible.  Obviously the highest security that I can achieve as well.

Linux flavors = I'm looking at RH9 and/or FreeBSD currently as my Linux/Unix OSes.

The Firewalls only need to filter, no DHCP is needed from them.

I'll also be looking at hacking tools to test the firewalls and learn methods to protect against.

This will be my "education" through head-to-brickwall method of learning the ins/outs of this, to me, new operating system and many of it's facets - Desktop, DNS, FW, etc...

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 03:29:58 AM »
Hello Boss
Its good that u want 2 work in a simulated env.Acc to me u dont need DNS/ARP at end, it ok where it is..As you  said that u have 2 NIC on ur DNS m/c , Second u want a firewall , for a software firewall in linux , Search in google for

rc.firewall
script initially,if u want any other firewall go for Cisco PIX firewall
if u want some security tools , or wana capture data , or attack to any other computer or analyise tha attacks , i will help u as  I am also doing research in this field....
like IDS ,IPS,SNIFFERS etc.

So if u want to know abt that contact me
Enjoy:
Gaurav

Offline ICFire

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 12:16:19 PM »
I have change the network setup to this since from what I see most network provide their own DNS servers internally.

2-NICs in the DNS server each with appropriate IP addys.  

Again, I don't know this will work I'm just planning this currently.  I have all the required hardware at this point and have started loading on the OS on the various units.

1-WS = XP
1-WS = RH9
FW= FreeBSD
DNS=NetBSD

I'll be utilizing Firewall Builder to create the FW rule set.  A cross platform GUI for netfilter/iptables/ipchains.

http://www.fwbuilder.org/

Code: [Select]

{WS}--{ROUTER/SWITCH/DHCP/NAT}--{FW}--{Mini-Hub}--{FW}--{ROUTER/SWITCH/DHCP/NAT}--{WS}
              |                                                    |
              |                                                    |
              -------------------------{DNS/ARP}--------------------            

Offline gauravbajaj

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 09:27:51 AM »
Actually
I cant get ur question prperly...Its seems to be confusing.........
From above post it seems that u have 2 NIC  in one system(DNS) from there 1  NIC is connected to a SWITCH/ROUTER/NAT & other is connected to other SWITCH/ROUTER?NAT its ok but what u want 2 do?????????????????????

It seems like u want to make two networks which are connected  but I eally gant get your question ....what u want & what u are trying to do...

Sorry Plzz be more clear & specific

Gaurav

Offline ICFire

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 12:15:20 PM »
Mini-hub = internet cloud

Left {FW} and stuff left of it = Lan 1

Right {FW} and stuff right of it = Lan 2

My intention is to just use 1 DNS server to serve both by putting the appropriate IP addy on the NICs.

DNS is plugged into the Router cause it's also a 4-port switch.

Again this is an internet  simulation, about as basic as I could think to do it.

*Edit - well, I am a linux newb and it looks like I need to come up with another PC so I can have 2-DNS machines, one for each side.  I thought I might be able to run 2 instances of it on one machine but it doesn't look that way upon further reading.