Linux in General > Linux Tutorials & How To's

Internet Sharing in Linux / NAT How to

<< < (5/9) > >>

rana28:
Dear Ricky
Thanks for your tutorial for transparent proxy, I have one question regarding this topic, I have installed squid 2.5 on Redhat linux 9.0 (rpm package), is this necessary for installing net filter for transparent proxy, if yes how I installed net filter on red hat linux 9.0 (is there any rpm package avilable for net filter?)

Ricky:
netfilter.. are you talking about iptables,
well for transparent proxy (it if you don't want to configure browsers) you need netfilter's Iptables installed and they are now in every std. linux distro.

For simple proxy ie using it by configuring every clien'ts browser then no need of it at all.

You can download. search "iptables rpm download" in any search engine.

rana28:
Dear Friend
As written by I have try to configure transparent proxy with my linux box, but unfortunately it's won't work. I am using red hat linux 9.0 with iptables (already loaded with linux ). If I specify my server ip and port no 3128 on my windows client then it's working fine. Can u tell me what is the proble. I have tried several times. pls help

rana28:
I am using 2 ethernet cards, eth0 for Lan and eth1 for DSL connection (PPP0).

Ricky:
You have to check if iptables rules given here and in Transparent proxy tutorials are applied in right way.

to check if routing is fine..

--- Code: ---cat  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
--- End code ---
if that give output = 1 then you are fine.

In your client you have to give gateway as ip of the linux box and DNS server as your ISP's DNS server IP. or you can give the ip same as your gateway but depends on other criteria so better give only DNS server ip of your ISP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version