March 19, 2024, 06:53:42 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Modem, Hard disk and Installing Problem  (Read 22204 times)

Offline Candle

Modem, Hard disk and Installing Problem
« on: January 10, 2004, 11:52:45 PM »
:oops: Hi there, you may don’t believe this but it’s true, I’ve installed Red Hat9 on my machine, I made a treble boot with XP Professional and XP Home edition, honestly it was not that easy but I could manage, my problem is I’m not aware by any single word or any abbreviations of that Linux, I was chocked when I sow words like Kernel, LILO, RGUB, Dave, but that is not the problem ether, I can learn, my problems are
1-   Red Hat can’t see my modem, I use (3com US Robotics) I searched every where over the net but there was no any result for finding a driver for my modem
2-   Since I have 2 HDD one 120GB and the other is 80GB so I’ve mad some partitions on it and Red Hat couldn’t see them,
3-   When I try to play any movie or video clip or even MP3 I receive a message says you didn’t have something I can’t remember what is it and you have to install it (it means that I don’t have the drive) mean while I have the original installed M Player
4-   When I try to install any program from a CD I receive the same message on number 3

Well my dear I know it’s kind of weird what I’m doing, and if you ask me why do install an operating system I know none about I tell you that I’m sick and tired of Microsoft beside I liked Linux, it seems good and powerful
 So do you think that I can find a step by step support??  :wink: I hope so, actually I believe I will
Thanks in advance        
Kh Candle  :D  :lol:

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 09:26:20 AM »
Well you don't have any big problem.
(a). Your first problem is simple. In linux you have to associate any hard drive partition in order to use that under linux. ie. you have to mount it. Since you are having winXP then i think most of your linux are in ntfs format. if so then you can only read windows partition in linux but you can write also but that is considered as buggy. If you are having Fat32 partition then u can use them as usual. Well to access windows partition u have to do the following..
1. Make few directories to which u want to associat partition. i making a directory name C in /mnt/ by
Code: [Select]
mkdir /mnt/C 2. run the command
fdisk -l and see wht is the drive no. of the windows partitions ie. fat32 and ntfs
usually /dev/hda1 is windows partition. see other partition no. like /dev/hda5 and so on depending upon how many windows partition you got.
3. Open file /etc/fstab in any text editor like Kate , kwrite , gedit .
and add following lines to end of it.
for ntfs partition
/dev/hda1  /mnt/C ntfs     users,owner,ro,umask=000    0 0for fat32
/dev/hda1 /mn/C vfat       defaults                    0 0here i have given one example for two cases first if your hda1 is ntfs, second if it is fat32. You can change the partition no. from hda1 , hda5 and so on according to the output of fdisk command.

(b) Redhat has removed the mp3 support from RH9 and further due to some patenting reasons. To play mp3 download this patch rpm and u go.. http://havardk.xmms.org/dist/xmms-1.2.7-rh8-rh9-rpm/xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-21.i386.rpm

(c) Installing programme from cds. thats not a big deal. You will understand it slowly slowly. Be more specific in this case.

(d) I have not played much with modems but you can look this link http://www.linuxant.com/company/ and http://www.linmodems.org/
 http://www.fatshady.co.uk/linux/modem.php

Hope you find answers to your all questions..

edit:  misspelled fdisk, dalek

Offline Candle

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 11:50:38 PM »
Well thank you so much my friend I will try those order and I want to inform you that I have just 1 partition on NTFS which contain the XP Professional and all the others are FAT 32, and cause you are kindly supporting man, can I ask you another one question, pleas? Well I had some downloads for the M Player for Linux,, pleas don’t laugh at this, I didn’t know how setup those programs or even deal with them, I thought it will be as I used to see, an .EXE file I will install and that’s it,,, I sow files with extensions I know nothing about, so pleas gide me how to install the programs
Thanks again
Kh. Candle

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 05:51:25 AM »
Well.. in linux if u download rpm file then install it just double clicking it . But if u got tar.gz file then u have extract it. Use gui archiever and then got the directory where u have extracted the file..
and do this..
./cofigure
make
make installIf you don't see any error between running those commands then ur program is installed...

I have told u that it will take little time but you will understand the working of linux urself..

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 05:52:51 AM »
Also whenever you downlaod any software  , after extracting it look for the install and readme files .. They usually contains all the required information.

Offline thyboy

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 01:01:49 PM »
ricky,
honestly u are good at linux , but one thing keep amazing me , when u Gs in linux talk about codes , i guess u always forget to mention to us little baby in linux where to run this code, like do we run it in the dos like , notepal like in linux,
pls i will be grateful if u Gs do say open kwrite, or go to run, pls i think it will help of u take the pain to guard us step by step ,
thanks

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 06:57:11 AM »
Well good question..

If we say run this code.. It means open console (command prompt of linux) and then run the command..

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 10:59:08 AM »
If we say click, it's not command line for sure.  If we say type, it is very likely in the command line.  You will get to the point where you know what we mean.  Took me a while too.

Got two nicks on the way.  Setting up a network so I know what the heck Ricky is talking about.   :oops:  :oops:  :wink:  :wink:

Oh Ricky, I think Gaim works from time to time.  It does lock up sometimes though.  Trying to get a newer version.  Hit that send button and it is over.  Enter seems to work, sort of, sometimes.   :shock:  :?

Later

:D  :D  :D

Offline MhykGyver

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 05:44:25 AM »
uhmmm, guys, gud day...i currently have this problem with my modem...i can't seem to make it work and it's so frustrating...i have a pctel modem and i have the driver for linux(came with the modem)...the problem is this...the instructions just don't work and some details are left out...here are the instructions and what i did:

You should copy these following files into the same directory:
            install_oasis_beta
            pctel.tar.gz      
            ptserial.tar.gz
(i made a new folder (/dev/modem))

mknod  /dev/ttyS15  c  62  79
   chgrp uucp  /dev/ttyS15
   chmod 666  /dev/ttyS15
   ln ?s  /dev/ttyS15  /dev/modem
(i followed each yet on the last part it says something like...must be file or directory...just can't make the link)

For loading, run installation script by typing  ?chmod  777    install_oasis_beta? and followed by ?./install_oasis_beta?

(i tried doing this but linux says it can't get the attributes and the next line it says unknown command or something)

please help...i can't access the net with my distro's so i'm currently using my window$ O$'$...btw, does kernel version matter? since the driver i have runs on 2.4, can it be used in my other distro(LormaLinux with 2.6.7)?

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 06:02:43 AM »
can you past instruction file here !!

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 06:19:56 AM »
!If! I read this correctly, you are making a link to a folder, the one you made /dev/modem, and that may be the problem.

You should not put software in the /dev/folder anyway.  It is for DEVices.  I would put the software in the root folder and delete the /dev/modem folder you made and start back over again.

Note that IF above is a big one.  Long distance repairs are not easy.  

Later

:D :D :D :D

Offline MhykGyver

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 06:58:59 AM »
oki doki...i'll be posting the manual from my pctel cdrom...and i will also go back to square one...i'll post the results l8r...thanks guys!!!

Offline MhykGyver

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 08:49:59 AM »
uhmmm... i did what you guys said and i started from scratch...now here's what i did...first i went back to /dev to rm the folder that i created but it wasn't there(i'm clueless on how it happened, any answers guys?) then i went back to /root and i saw all the files their for installing the modem(guess it happened when the install_oasis_beta.dat ran)...ok so the files were in /root and i was rarin' to get another crack at installing my modem driver...i did what the manual said but when it was time to make the link  this error message flashed- ln:when making multple links, last argument must be a directory...and so i said, "what f@#$% directory?"..darn, can you help me guys? oh...i'll also be posting the manual as requested...

Offline MhykGyver

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 08:53:27 AM »
Linux Driver
Installation Guide
1st Edition

This is the release note for the PC-TEL HSP modem driver for Linux. This file explains how to build and use the HSP modem driver.

Installation Guide
PC-TEL HSP Modem Driver Module for Linux kernel 2.4.xx
Serial Version 4.27.217-Beta (PCTEL OASIS) (08/07/2003 Release)

Linux code maintained by Robert Ju  (robert.ju@conexant.com)
===============================================

Minimum Hardware Requirements
You need any x86 motherboard with a CPU speed of at least 166 MHz and 32M Byte of RAM.  The PCTEL Linux PCI card must be inserted properly in the PCI slot.

The modem driver auto-detects the correct PCI vender and device ID to
install the correct interrupt handler.

File Content

You should copy these following files into the same directory: (what directory and where will i place it?)

install_oasis_beta
            pctel.tar.gz      
            ptserial.tar.gz

Logging In

To have all rights to access all folders and do the necessary preparation to install the driver, you must log in as root.  Any other user will not have access to make nodes and make necessary changes.  (i did this)

Make a Node for the modem (only one time)

If you don?t already have a File Manager window open with path file:/root,
launch it by clicking on the Home icon on the task bar. Click on the ?File? menu on the title bar.  From the drop down list, select Open Terminal to open a working terminal.  This will open another window.  

In the terminal window, type the following.  Make sure you type everything as it appears below. This will make a node for the modem, give access to everyone and make a link between that mode and /dev/modem. Linux is case sensitive.  This is done only once after a fresh installation of the OS.

mknod  /dev/ttyS15  c  62  79
   chgrp uucp  /dev/ttyS15
   chmod 666  /dev/ttyS15
   ln -s  /dev/ttyS15  /dev/modem
           (here is where my problem lies...)

(edit: corrected typo.  dalek moderator)

Load and unload PCTEL Linux driver

For loading, run installation script by typing  ?chmod  777  install_oasis_beta? and followed by ?./install_oasis_beta?

For unloading, please type ?rmmod  ptserial; sleep 1s; rmmod pctel?

6.  Set and report country code.

Default country code is USA.  Please ignore this section if the modem is intended
            for use in USA.

country_code                      country_name

1                               USA
                 2                        FRANCE
           3            GERMANY
           4            ITALY
           5            SWEDEN
           6            UK
           7            JAPAN
           8            AUSTRALIA
           9            SPAIN
          10            TAIWAN
          11            SINGAPORE
                12            KOREA
          13            SWITZERLAND
          14            NORWAY
          15            NETHERLANDS
          16            BELGIUM
          17            CANADA
          18            IRELAND
          19            PORTUGAL
          20            POLAND
          21            HUNGARY
          22            FINLAND
          23            DENMARK
          24            AUSTRIA
          25            S.AFRICA
                26            CTR21 COUNTRIES
           27            CHINA
           28            MALAYSIA
          29            LUXUMBURG
          30            GREECE
          31            ICELAND
          32            NEW ZEALAND
          33            BRAZIL

Setting up the Minicom Terminal

To make sure modem driver is installed correctly, you can run the application Minicom.  This is an application like Hyper Terminal that will allow you to make calls.  To run Minicom, open a hyper-terminal and type ?minicom?.  Press ?control-A?, then ?z? for menu.  To dial out, please start typing AT commands.

Set up ISP

Click on the button with the letter ?K? on the task bar.  A menu will pop up.  Click on Internet -> KPPP.  If using Red Hat, click on the start button (a foot icon), select KDE Menu -> Internet -> KPPP.  

You will need to unlock by commenting this lock.  To do so, open a terminal, change directory to /etc/ppp.  Use Emacs or any other editor to open the file options.  Find a line with the word lock.  Comment this line out by putting a # in front of it. Close and re open KPPP again.  A window with title ?Recent Changes? will come up.  Click on Don?t Show This Hint Again box and click on the OK button.  The KPPP Box will come up.  Click on the Setup button.  This will bring up the KPPP Configuration window.  Click on the Accounts tab.  Click on New.  Another window will come up.  Click on the Dial tab.  Type Connection Name and phone number in the boxes provided. The connection name could be anything like the name of the ISP provider.  Phone number is the number of the ISP you would dial to connect.  Leave Authentication as either PAP or CHAP.  PAP is usually the default.  

Click on the DNS tab.  In the Domain Name section, give any name.  You will need two DNS addresses.  If you don?t already know the DNS addresses of your ISP, you can call their tech support and find out.  Here are a couple of DNS addresses.  

If you are using Pacific Bell, you can use the following numbers.
         Primary:     206.13.28.12
         Secondary: 206.13.31.12

If you are using Earth Link, you can use the following numbers.
         Primary:     207.217.77.82
         Secondary: 207.217.120.82

After you enter the two DNS numbers, click on the OK button and get back to the KPPP window.  Click on Show Log Window check box.  Type Login ID and Password and click on the Connect button.  After connection, launch  Netscape by clicking on the Netscape icon on the task bar or any other browser icon.

Offline MhykGyver

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 08:54:31 AM »
and so the struggle continues...i just can't get my modem to work and my fat partitions too...i tried to mount my fat partition, as you guys said, but i get this message: permission denied..i logged in as root so i'm wond'ring what's wrong...help guys, please...