April 23, 2024, 12:15:55 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: How do i configure a mail server  (Read 4059 times)

Offline sonamkdorji

How do i configure a mail server
« on: September 30, 2004, 08:32:14 AM »
Hi folks,
i am working on red hat 9 & fedora (core 1). My organization has a registerd domain and also a web mail facility. The servers are already configured by a consultant who is no where to be seen. At the moment the clients are accessing their email from Microsoft outlook but the service is no longer available. something is messed up in the server.

also the /var in the present server is allocated only 1 GB. & due to this i have to constantly flush the e-mails hourly. i am having a new server with 12GB RAM, 750 GB hard disk & dual processor. i have installed fedora core on it & want to configure it as the new maill server. I have also downloaded squirrel mail & my organization has a  dedicated leaseline. they are provided 24 hr internet connection.

i have created alll the users on the new machine but am unable to proceed further. What do i have to do ? PLEASE help.

1) how do i configure sendmail/ do i have to use fetch mail also.
 2) how is POP & IMAP configured.

please help me asap :-(

Offline kvn_srinivas

Configuring mail Server
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 07:03:17 PM »
Hi To Configure a mail server on linux i prefer postfix:

This is Pretty simple to make ur mail server to work properly u need to open SMTP port as well as POP3 and IMAP ports the SMTP port can be opened by editing main.cf ifile where as pop3 and IMAP ports can be opened by editing pop3S and IMAPs files in /etc/xinetd.d directory just make default = yes to default = no