April 23, 2024, 07:15:17 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: DNS problem  (Read 3140 times)

Offline vibhory2j

DNS problem
« on: October 05, 2004, 12:03:45 PM »
hello,

i have configured a DNS server on redhat linux 7.3 for a small LAN of 4 systems. the DNS server is running fine on the system which is installed with DNS server. this can be verified by the commands "host" "dig".
but the problem is that the clients which are connected to the DNS server system are not able resolv ip/names. i  have configured "resolv.conf"  and other named files correctly.

also on the DNS server system:-

host 195.168.0.58 // this commands responds with correct lookup of name
host redhat58>linuxgroup.net // this command gives error that << connectio timed out> no                     servers found>

dig redhat58.linuxgroup.net // this command responds coreectly
dig 195.168.0.58 // does not responds and gives error << connection timed out; no servers could be found>

any suggestions.....

thanks in advance

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
DNS problem
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 04:08:42 AM »
i have configured a DNS server on redhat linux 7.3 for a small LAN of 4 systems. the DNS server is running fine on the system which is installed with DNS server. this can be verified by the commands "host" "dig".

I think you have only set up caching DNS server . Not the DNS for name resolution for a machine.
I think you should see some documentation again. If you like I have real quick how to and useful one. I will upload to some server for you!