Network Troublshooting > General Networking Support in Linux

IP masq and squid proxy.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ricky:
I think you should ask this in "linux server" forum..  
First read there previous threads about proxy.. if you don't find there answer than start a new thread.. also paste last 8 lines of your cache.log

smaracatur:
i just installed the newest squid STABLE5 on Linux RH 9.0 but i ve a problem why i can't accessing a ssl web site and use IRC and FTP from my client. is the problem from the squid or the Linunx? and what should  i do? thx.

Ricky:
Well regarding ssl .. it seems that you have not configured your clients browsers correctly..  
Regarding FTP and IRc.. have you configured your ftp to use proxy ??

Also try to use the squid.conf which is posted by me in a different thread..

ashwin_ice:
Dear Ricky,

I think the the Transparent Proxy isn't working because I just cannot seem to get MS Outlook/Outlook express to send and receive mails directly to and from "mail.xyz.com" which is Our remotely hoste mail server. I've tried using the suggestion for the transparent proxy as you'd said be creating the rc.nat file in the etc/rc.d and adding the command in rc.local. It doesn't work.

I think configuring the Box as a Router seems more sensible as it would allow my clients to directly use the box as a ROUTER not as a NAT ROUTER. How can I configure my RH 8.0 to act as a non NAT Router for the two interfaces allowing anyone to access it as a gateway. And the second NIC does not have a PUBLIC IP but has a Static IP on my ISP's network.

PLease could you give me some links that would enable me to do this. I need my clients on network 192.168.0.x to abe able to ping to their gateway 10.10.100.x and use the DNS of the ISP. I guess this can be done through IPTABLES forwarding right but I maintain I cannot USE a NAT or Masquerading as my client IP's NEED TO remain STATIC.

I am currently doing this with a ADSL router configured the same way on another connecton. This router works in the above way. I need to have My Linux router do the same beacause of this is done all my problems are solved. And security not being so much of a concern as of now but If a firewall can be implemented simultaneously without hampering the 110:POP3 and 25:SMTP Send and Receive

Thanks and Kind Regards

Ashwin  :)

Ricky:

--- Quote --- think configuring the Box as a Router seems more sensible as it would allow my clients to directly use the box as a ROUTER not as a NAT ROUTER. How can I configure my RH 8.0 to act as a non NAT Router for the two interfaces allowing anyone to access it as a gateway. And the second NIC does not have a PUBLIC IP but has a Static IP on my ISP's network.
--- End quote ---
Well your requirement suggest to use firewall. Also when u are using redirect for transpransy then no one can access http directly as it get reidrected  to  squid. For other ports u can include following lines in your rc.nat . I have given example for two ports only . You can use more.

--- Code: ---iptables -A INPUT -p udp -i eth0 --dport 21 -j DROP
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 22 -j  DROP
--- End code ---
You have to enable ip forwarding.
Lastly make sure that u r able to access internet  from your any client without entering the proxy ports . If u r unable then ur proxy is not transparent.
Also NAT works for static ip network. Dont forget to add DNS servers of ur ISP in every client

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version