April 26, 2024, 12:54:09 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: HELP !!!!! red hat linux starting problem......  (Read 4692 times)

Offline piyush

HELP !!!!! red hat linux starting problem......
« on: September 24, 2004, 09:40:40 AM »
Hello,
         my red hat 9 system configured for a GUI based login at startup, gives command prompt login which keeps on blinking and does not allow to login, it was running fine till a day back. i dont know what caused the problem suddenly. please help as soon as u can, because i have to run it fast...please advice anything except reinstallation.  

Regards,
Piyush.

Offline sashijoseph

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 02:43:42 AM »
Hi,
Try this.Boot in single user mode(if using grub select the Linux entry and hit 'e'. Select the kernel.... line and hit e again for editing.Then at the end of the line append a 'single' .Then hit enter and press 'b' to boot.The system should boot into single user mode.)
Now at the shell prompt change the runlevel from 5 to 3 using vi on /etc/inittab.You could also type 'telinit 3' to be immedately switched to runlevel 3.There you can use 'startx' to start gui mode or to troubleshoot if X crashes or sth.

Offline GNUrag

• Tux Awared
    • http://tends.ourproject.org/~anurag
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 01:18:46 PM »
just check whether id:5:initdefault: line is like this.... then restart you X server....

Offline sashijoseph

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 03:45:36 AM »
How? His console's not logging him in!

Offline ty_young

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 02:40:53 AM »
I encounter a similiar problem just yesterday. After flashing couple of times, the X configurator will show up. Just denied/ Cancel all the way till the end, you'll get to login through the console.