March 28, 2024, 06:09:00 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: installed packaged cannot be uninstalled using rpm -e  (Read 5138 times)

Offline piyush

installed packaged cannot be uninstalled using rpm -e
« on: September 23, 2004, 09:27:05 AM »
Hello,
         Recently i had installed gaim-1.0.0 for redhat 9 for i386  . The application installs fine and runs as expected,  but  when i gave the command   rpm -e "package name"  in command line it says that the package is not installed. Though i can uninstall succesfully through the add/remove program facility in the GUI mode. Can anyone help me in telling what is the problem in command line and how can i solve it?
         Running "rpm -e <package>" from the /usr/bin directory works but i think it should work from the root's homw directory too- that is the proper way, isn't it?
        Waiting eagerly for an early reply.
Regards,
Piyush.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 02:47:05 PM »
well.. when you are su or logged in as root then you can do uninstallation or installation from any place!

Secondly when removing a package you need to know the exact package name.. say you want to unistall a previously installed rpm package then you can get its exact version by..

rpm -q <package name>

then it will give you exact package name with version etc then try removing it with

rpm -e <full package name with version etc>

Offline piyush

Thanks for the reply but it is still a problem Ricky
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 03:05:30 AM »
Hello,
         I agree with your suggestion Ricky but even when i give rpm -q <package>  in command line it tells that the package is  not installed ,  though i can  run the program  and it could be seen installed in the GUI Add/Remove program for RH 9 Linux. Awaiting a reply...

Regards,
Piyush.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 09:22:19 AM »
well.. that is strange, no idea about that here.. hope someone else to give his view in this matter !

Offline sashijoseph

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 04:45:07 AM »
Well try rpm -qf on a file installed by the package. For eg if there is a gaim binary in /usr/bin then try      rpm -qf /usr/bin/gaim .This should give the correct package name.Maybe you've already done this.
Could it be happening due to some dependency prob?

Offline deven_01

• Linux Learner
hi dear do as follows
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 10:32:22 AM »
hi piyush
do
rpm -qa | grep <pkgname>.rpm
it gives you particular pakage with version
do
rpm -e <pkgname>
it uninstall that pkg
if it depends on another then uninstall that pkges also