April 20, 2024, 01:56:08 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: mandrake woulnd't boot on a laptop after an easy install  (Read 5733 times)

Offline kozandr

mandrake woulnd't boot on a laptop after an easy install
« on: April 17, 2005, 08:28:13 PM »
I just intalled Mandrake 10.1 on my Laptop (toshiba sattelite 5005-s504)  where I alreay had WinXP pro. I partitioned my hard with PM8 and tried to install Mandrake. the installation went well and I was full of hopes that i'll finally have a working dual boot. However, after the install was complete and I tied to boot into linux it just froze half way  through. I tried different booting options available in lilo boot manager at the beginning and none of them worked. I allocated 10GB to mandrake. My windows boots just fine and I really want to check out mandrake. Any suggestions? Im not good at configuring and Im pretty new to linux. Thank you.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 04:11:54 AM »
You said it get froze, can we have other information like how much ram you have and oif there is any error message .. and also can you describe where actually it get froze ?

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 09:04:47 AM »
Maybe u can show us your harddisk layout. Type the following command and show us the output:

root# fdisk -l; mount

Please show us your lilo.conf file too please. Thankx :)

Offline kozandr

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 01:06:01 PM »
thank you for getting back to me. I just got back from work and was very pleased that there are some ppl that are willing to help.
Well my system is  WinXP pro 30gb HD - no SPs. I partitioned it with PM8 - 10 gb allocated to mandrake, 1024mb on swap, 13 to winXP and the rest to a logical data backup. It's pentium 3, 1.1Gh ...512 ram. I suspect that some of the hardware is "win" but i tried to install fedora, RH9, and some other ..(forgot the name of it) and they all booted without any problems yet they didn't function as I wanted them to - like sound card and modem etc.

the problem is when I boot into linux it takes me to hardware check first and i see that it "oks" all the hardware and then it stopsat "

checking root file system......
/dev/hda3: was not clearly unmounted

"trying to test check forced"
then it says that the system would reboot and it repeats itself over and over....,or  if done in a graphical interface it just freezes like 40% down the road.

Offline kozandr

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 01:10:07 PM »
the HD layout is :

/___13gb___/_1/2_/_3/4_/__/______10gb___/
winxp        logical data,  swap,     linux

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 05:24:30 PM »
Did u just say logical? Man, i think u gonna have problem  with these partition structure.

Is ur Linux a primary partition?

What filesystem are u using?