April 19, 2024, 08:45:41 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: FTP,POP3 - Remote Access - Problem  (Read 4985 times)

Offline madavan

• Linux Noob !
FTP,POP3 - Remote Access - Problem
« on: August 18, 2004, 05:21:12 AM »
Hi ,

I have a RH 9.0 as server with 2 Mandrake Clients and 5 Win98 Clients. I am able to SSH the server from all machines. But not able to FTP either the server or a remote server. Squid is the proxy in the server.

Kindly help me on the topics.

1.How to configure RH9.0 to allow email protocols (pop3,smtp) from clients.
2.How to configure RH9.0 to allow FTP access to itself and remote hosts from clients.

Sincerely yours

Madhav

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 06:38:39 AM »
Kindly look few previous posts in the forum .. if still in problem then ask there !!

Offline madavan

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 10:13:23 AM »
Hi Rick,

I appreciate ur suggestion. I looked into the post for the past couple of hrs. Lot of them were in lines of what i wanted. I infact tried manipulating a little based on the details.

My problem has'nt solved. I have a firewall, a squid proxy running on RH9.0. This box is only a intranet server.I dont use it for any other purpose (Like hosting or ftp or email). It is just a proxy caching server.

In this junction, My server is configured with the following.

1. Firewall - High - I tried changing it to medium and allowing trusted protocols as a superuser, but it does not get changed. Wondering what else will i do ?

2. Iam not even able to ftp from clients to server. But when i sit in server, am able to see all the clients and its shared folders.

3. Pop3 access is not being allowed,and so could'nt use a mail client to access remote servers like gawab.com or yahoo.com.

FYI - AM A NOVICE IN LINUX - THOUGH I AM FAMILIAR WITH SYNTAX AND ESSENTIAL OPERATIONS.

KINDLY HELP ME THROUGH THE PROBLEM RICK !

Regards

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 11:28:54 AM »
Well disable firewall and install firestarter !!

For your mail access you need to enable port forwarding for smpt and pop ports ie.. 110 and port 25 !!

you can do that using firestarter !  it is a GUI for iptables !

Offline madavan

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 12:22:48 PM »
Rick,

Am downloading Firestarter..Before that how will i remove the current firewall...pls guide me as i declared myself a "NOVICE" earlier..

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 12:46:15 PM »
Well in RH9 see.. services and disable it on startup !!

Offline madavan

• Linux Noob !
IT WORKED
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 01:20:20 PM »
:lol: "IT WORKED...COOL RICK..I CANNOT TAKE UP A DOUBT ABOUT UR EXPERTISE"..TNX A TRILLIAN..HAVE A GOOD DAY.