April 19, 2024, 12:13:11 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: setting up linux network for the office  (Read 7844 times)

Offline sevenzeros

• Linux Noob !
setting up linux network for the office
« on: July 29, 2004, 03:33:45 PM »
hello again,

i need some help.. the company i work for wants to switch from Windows to Linux.. i need some help with the configurations bit and we would also like to know if there are linux-based versions of the software we are using..

there are about 30 desktops connected to 1 server (server is mainly for storing data and also internet connection).. these desktops (Pentium2, Pentium4, AthlonXP) are now running win98 and winXP.. most have 128Mb ram (but with all the money saved in licences after switching, i think we can get 512Mb) and 20Gb HDD..

i'm thinking about using mandrakelinux 10 for everything... server... desktops... but i don't know how to connect to the internet... i've also got redhat9, suse8.1, linspire4.5, collegelinux and feather on hand (won't be any trouble downloading other distros though.. heheh)... so if you've got any suggestions...

programs we use:

MS office, Outlook, Internet Explorer, Instant Messengers (no problems with these)

Chinese Star (for chinese character input), PC Security (restrictions to system folders), AutoCad 2002, Photoshop, Coral Draw...

so... where do we find these programs? linux-based... anyone has any idea?

regards,
sevenzeros

*thanks for your help*

Offline tuxfan

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 05:38:25 AM »
MS office > Open Office, KOffice
Outlook > Ximian Evolution (the outlook clone)
Internet Explorer > Mozilla
Instant Messenger > gaim universal messenger, aMSN (MSN clone), yahoo
Photoshop, Coral Draw > gimp

For the rest of your queries, wait for someone more knowledgeable. I am not an expert.

However, I would suggest you install Linux on 1 or 2 machines first, try it out and then go for a full conversion. LinuxForYou magazine has been publishing quite many number of articles on your kind of problem. Check out their web-site. You may be able to find the articles on their site or may be able to get appropriate older issues.

Offline tkdlinux

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 09:42:37 PM »
for the graphic thing, is better stay with windows.
Internet stuff-> linux