March 28, 2024, 10:51:05 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: LTSP Is Cool  (Read 11438 times)

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
LTSP Is Cool
« on: June 15, 2004, 03:43:03 PM »
Hi guys,

Have u people tried out LTSP? Well, it's quite interesting to configure a diskless server. For a company, it really saves a lot of money. All the workstations will need is a casing, motherboard PXE network card supported, keyboard, mouse and monitor. And that's it.

[url]www.ltsp.org[/org]

For those u need to maintain client & servers, it really saves the time. Please share with me ur people opinions about LTSP.

Im currently running LTSP under Red Hat 9

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
LTSP Is Cool
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 04:56:55 PM »
I don't think it is that cool..
It requires a server with lots of RAM and processing power. It requires good quality network . further wht it only saves is one hardisk per system. So I don't think it really saves a lots of money but wht it does is that it saves lots of administration stuff. I was trying to setup LTSP but as I have HD in my all system i drop the plan as it was not much money saving deal ..

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
LTSP Is Cool
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 07:47:07 AM »
Well for me, i save the money for harddisk, cdrom and floppy disk.
I bought a low end motherboard ASUS P4MX533 with PXE bootup enabled. All the devices such as network card, sound, and video are builtin. All casing, monitor, mouse and keyboards are very very cheap type but it works fine. I did all the wiring myself as well.

It's a P4 and running on 128 MB of RAM. No problem, running very smooth for me :)

It really saves a lot of money comparing to buying expensive machines.

However i do admit that the server requires a high processing power. But, Linux gurus proved that everything works fine on a PIII 1GHZ with a 256 MB of RAM as a diskless server.