April 24, 2024, 12:42:00 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: LINUX VPN  (Read 5162 times)

Offline raghavachary

• Linux Noob !
LINUX VPN
« on: June 22, 2004, 03:02:58 PM »
Hi all,

Can anyone help me in setting up VPN on REDHAT LINUX 9.0

Thanks in advance.

:arrow:

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
LINUX VPN
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 01:06:36 AM »

Offline raghavachary

• Linux Noob !
LINUX VPN
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 05:43:42 AM »
Thanks for your help !

I need small help.....

My company has got two locatins... in two countries, now i would like to establish a seamless network between these two networks for file sharing..... etc., what is the best way to implement the same !

apart from Routers... can we implement the same by using linux box at both the ends.. ??

1. we have dedicated leased lines, we use it for internet.

Pls help me... Thanks in advance.

Offline sunny_kotaru

• Linux Noob !
LINUX VPN
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 11:34:54 AM »
Mr. Raghava.

if you want to implement the vpn in the linux, you are having a couple of ways. we will see them one by one.

1) first it is possible to configure the linux box to act as a vpn server. both as MUVPN as well as gateway to gateway vpn.

in your case you need the gateway to gateway vpn to connect the both networks.

you need to get the lagest swan package in this purpose. but it is bit complex and require little knowledge about the vpn domain knowledge. span is a software whichis available under the linux to implement the vpn solutions. it is supporting both the PPTP as well as advanced IPsec protocal.

2) if you want to very easy way to implement the VPN, so many third party solutions are available. which are hardware based VPN's, and it is vary easy to setp and maintain the VPN's using hardware based VPNS.

I will put a couple of vendors who support the hardware based VPN's

1) WatchGuard
2) Sonicwall
3) Netscreen
4) Cisco.

all these solutions are hardware based solutions and they are cost effective and easy to setup and maintaint he vpn tunnels very easily and from a single place. they are supporting the MUVPN also with strong security in mind.

Cheers

Offline raghavachary

• Linux Noob !
LINUX VPN
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 11:59:29 AM »
Thanks a lot Mr.Sunny !

I would request .... Can you explain step-by-step installing and configuring VPN, or you can even send me a link for VPN documentation which will help me to install and configure the VPN.

Thanks ...

Offline sunny_kotaru

• Linux Noob !
LINUX VPN
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 12:25:01 PM »
which VPN you are talking about? first you need to understand the concepts behind the VPN, if you want to configure the VPN's properly. definately it is bit topic. just you need to gradualy excel in this topic.

first i will suggest you go to microsoft.com or depend on the google to collect the more information about VPN Technology.

Microsoft is having excellent material on their web site under the windows 2000/2003 section as well as ISA server section.

first read teh underlaying technology behind it. configuring any vpn is as same as but only syntax changes.

as well as visit the watchguard.com & sonicwall.com websites. thet both are providing excellent documentation and technology about VPNS.

Cheers