Linux in General > Linux Kernel

kernel upgradation and compilation

(1/2) > >>

mysaeed:
I am running RedHat 7.3 kernel 2.4.18..now i want to upgrade my kernel from 2.4.18 to 2.4.20 for 7.3 linux.Pls tell me the step one by one..
Thanks

dalek:
Download the kernel and untar it and put the folder in the /usr/src directory.  There should be a readme in there that will tell you how to compile and such.  It is best to follow it.

When you get that done name the kernel with 'test' on the end and save a copy of the current working kernel.  If something goes wrong, you can switch back to the old kernel and boot to fix it.  This is really easy in grub.

I have compiled kernels before but only in Gentoo.  It is not that hard except for making sure you have all the settings right.  It can be very time consuming though.

Don't expect to see a lot of change though.  I assume there is something specific in the release that you are wanting.

Hope that helps.

Later

:D  :D  :D

neo:
Steps :
1) Download the kernel from http://www.kernel.org/
2) extract the .tar file
3) go into the directory where u have extracted it.
4) type the comand
--- Code: --- make menuconfig
--- End code ---
5) select the features u want in ur kernel ( u may like to see the documentation or u may get some help by typing " ?" )
6) exit the menuconfig and come on to the shell saving the new configuration
7) type the command
--- Code: --- make dep
--- End code ---
8) Now type
--- Code: --- make bzImage
--- End code ---
9) if it compiles successfully then type
--- Code: --- make modules
--- End code ---
10) Now type
--- Code: --- make modules_install
--- End code ---
11) ur new kernel is in the directory ./arch/i386/boot/bzImage copy it in the directory /boot/
12) edit ur bootloader so that u may boot the new kernel
13) choose the line for booting ur new kernel at boot up.
 :D

sudipta_cht:
Just for info,
 I tried kernel 2.6. I could do a direct make install after all what you've written, neo. And it did all the necessary things to my bootloader without me bothering too much.
In case you are not sure, mysaeed, you can also try that

Ricky:

--- Quote from: "sudipta_cht" ---Just for info,
 I tried kernel 2.6. I could do a direct make install after all what you've written, neo. And it did all the necessary things to my bootloader without me bothering too much.
In case you are not sure, mysaeed, you can also try that
--- End quote ---

Well i think neo is talking about LILO.. and Sudipta_cht you you are using GRUB .. Am i right ??
Well lilo need to reconfigure every time when you made major changes to kernel..:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version