March 19, 2024, 06:53:03 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Why I am moving to linux  (Read 18944 times)

Offline gazalovespells

Why I am moving to linux
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:45:59 AM »
I have finally decided to make the move to Linux,

Although i should confess I am a bit spoilt for choice on deciding which version/type (whatever you guys call it).

I am also trying to grasp the Linux Lingua franca

I am moving from Windows because I am tired of viruses. tired of slow pc's.

and on hearing that the majority of servers are run on linux, i was convinced that linux is the best system for me

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
Re: Why I am moving to linux
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 01:51:48 PM »
Since you are new to Linux, I would recommend Mandriva or Kubuntu.  Since you are switching from windoze, you should give the KDE desktop a try.  It is more like windoze.  You can get Kubuntu here:

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Mandriva here:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/downloads/2011/

I recently switched my brother from windoze to Kubuntu and it was pretty easy.  The install process for both are pretty close and GUI based.  Some distros are text based for the install.  Here is a link for Ubuntu based install:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/install_kubuntu.html

Here is a howto for Mandriva:

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/08/26/mandriva-2011-installation-and-disk-partitioning-guide/

I have not read through those guides but they should help.  As always, things can change but the basics are this, partition, configure and let it install.  If something doesn't work right, just google for the distro and add 'install howto'.  You should get plenty of links. 

Don't worry about some having a 2011 stamped on them.  That is just for the CD/DVD software.  Once you get the install done, you upgrade to the latest, just like windoze does. 

I have never installed anything Microsoft on my rigs.  I have been using Linux for a good long while.  It is nice to not have to worry about viruses and such.  I might also add, it runs better on older systems too.  My brothers rig had windoze XP on it.  It was getting really slow.  That was with the older OS.  I put a new Linux with KDE4 on it and it still runs faster plus the software is newer too. 

The only thing that needs to be addressed is modem and video cards.  Sometimes you have trouble with software based modems.  Also, sometimes you have to download video drivers manually and install them.  They usually have a step by step guide tho.  Generally, the install is the hardest part. 

Welcome to Linux. 

:)    :)

Offline hvysmker

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:05:33 PM »
I've experimented with different Linux distributions since the early nineties. I kept going back to Windoze. I'd even order my copy of the new Windows long before it came out.

Windows XP cured me. Windows XP changed all that, letting them onto MY computer anytime they wanted. Sure, they SAY it's only to check the install, but how do I know that?  My first computer with XP came installed with the "Home" version.  Since I already owned a store-bought copy of a higher version, I installed it onto that new computer.  Then, I tried to install the original that came with the computer onto an older computer. I was told that it wouldn't install because the computer wasn't the same make and model.  Consequently, I lost the money I'd spent for that "Home" version.

When I tried Linux again, I forget the distribution, I found it WAS roughly the equivalent of Windows XP.  It was FREE, both in cost and in malware. Even program updates were FREE.  I was free to put it on any number of computers..It was faster than XP. There was a short learning curve and the word processer wasn't as good as the one with XP. But, then, MS Word did cost extra, so I didn't mind having a slightly inferior one for FREE.

Being a novel writer, I sometimes went back to Windows on another computer when finishing a novel or long story. That was  the only downside I noticed. Also, I'm not a gamer, so I didn't notice that aspect.

I was on a dual boot and noticed, quite a while later, that I was never using Windows on that computer, except for an occasional update. So, when needing more space for data, I simply deleted that system.

Right now, I have four computer at home with Windows on only one ... hardly ever using it.

Hvysmker

Offline ronaldassus

Why I am moving to linux
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 11:41:07 AM »
Linux is an operating system for computers, its public domain and works on a variety of cpus and equipment ...

Offline JasonJames

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 09:59:38 AM »
I'm thrilled to hear that you've made the decision to switch to Linux! It's a fantastic operating system that has a lot of benefits, so I'm sure you're going to love it. Choosing the right version of Linux can be a bit of a challenge, especially if you're new to the system. But don't worry, there are plenty of resources available to help you make an informed decision. And once you get the hang of it, you'll find that Linux is incredibly powerful and versatile. Learning the Linux "lingua franca" can take some time, but it's a fascinating journey. Linux has a rich history and culture, and there's always something new to learn.

Offline TerryGetto

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 10:10:36 AM »
Apologies for reviving this thread, but I just wanted to give my two cents. Congrats on your decision to move to Linux! It's definitely a great choice if you're tired of viruses and slow PCs. I totally understand the feeling of being overwhelmed with all the different versions out there but don't worry, you'll find one that suits you best. Just pick one that seems appealing and start exploring! However, I want to note that I recently tried the latest version of Windows and was very pleased. If you're interested, you can try it out too by using cheap windows keys from reliable sources or communities. But of course, if you're already set on Linux, that's great too! Good luck with your transition!