March 28, 2024, 06:22:10 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Where is the Best place to buy Linux Certified Hardware  (Read 7026 times)

Offline allen875

• Linux Noob !
Where is the Best place to buy Linux Certified Hardware
« on: January 11, 2012, 01:23:15 AM »
Hello, I am planning to build a new linux home server in the next few months and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on where is a good place to purchase linux certified hardware. What I mean by linux certified is that it has native linux driver support that will be able to use it's full functionality. A place that lists hardware would be fine as well since I can just find that model number of the product to purchase it.

Thanks For Your Assistance.

Note: I just realized I put this in the proxy section meant for it to be in regular server section, sorry...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:02:25 AM by allen875 »

Offline LS-Admin

• Administrator
  • Linux Learner
Re: Where is the Best place to buy Linux Certified Hardware
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 06:52:03 AM »
No problem, topic has been moved to "Linux Server Support" .

Regarding your question, this website maintain a good list of links and drivers compatibility information : linux-drivers.org

Also, it should be no issue as most of the recent hardware are properly supported by linux unless its not too recent , it depends also upon what type of server you are building.

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 05:07:27 PM »
The only hardware I know of that has little or no support is Lexmark printers.  The only other thing I can think of is a serial modem that is software based.  You can get those to work in Linux but some of them are unpredictable.  They seem to have issues with locking up and such.  They usually say they are a "windows modem".  Every external serial modem that I have ever seen works well in Linux but they are getting harder to find.  That does not include USB only modems tho.  Those can be windows modems too. 

I would certainly research things first tho.  If you buy a system, you can tell them it will be using Linux and they should know what to put in.  It may cost a small amount more but it will pay for itself in the end.  A lot less headaches for you.  Since you shouldn't have to pay for windows, you should still save money.  ;)

:)   :)

Offline allen875

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:26:09 AM »
Thanks for your reply's the linux-drivers.org website is good and it actually lead me to a few more websites like I never realized redhat has a certified hardware section on there website and openbenchmarking.com. Again thanks.

Offline dalek

• LST CareTaker
  • Crescent
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:39:27 AM »
There are lots of these sites.  Just go to google and type in"linux hardware compatibility" and there are plenty of hits.

I think the one LS-Admin posted is a good one.  Another thought tho.  If you have access to the machine and can boot it from something Linux, try this site:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

You put the info in the box and it tells you the specific driver and some have ratings as to how well they work.  This could be priceless if you are at a store thinking about buying a laptop.  If you don't have access to the machine, to the left on that website is a list by manufacturer.  When I built my latest rig, I used that site to find out if my mobo had all the needed drivers.  It also has prebuilt systems such as Gateway and HP and others.  So whether you are building your own or buying prebuilt, that site should help some if you have at least some basic info. 

:)   :)

Offline allen875

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 02:03:58 AM »
Excellent, since I've decided to either go with CentOS or Debian for my server, and I plan to buy the components and put it together myself just too much money to buy from dealers unless your buying a laptop.