March 19, 2024, 05:04:41 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: SSH root password question  (Read 5945 times)

Offline stefan

SSH root password question
« on: April 20, 2005, 01:16:23 PM »
Hello,
I'm new to this, so first of all 'Hello' to you all!

Here's my question:

Situation:  we have Redhat Linux servers all over the country and if a server had an uptime of 180 days+ it drops into the shell (after a crash or reboot) waiting to give the root password. Because we don't want anyone to mess with the server, we have a policy not to give it to anybody. So we have to ride 400 miles sometime to type in the root password, than do a filecheck and go home again.

We support the servers using ssh and private keys. The question is: is there a way to start up eth0 and the ssh service before it drops into the bash shell so we could connect to the server and enter the password using ssh?

I know, tough question. I 've been searching everywhere on the net, so i hope somebody can help me..

thanks in advance!

Stefan :D

Offline anil_garg5

• Linux Learner
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 07:44:44 AM »
It is really a good question to work.

============

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 06:16:35 PM »
Have u ever consider using a scripting language to control or as a counter measure to this problem?

U could take a look at the "Slackware" rc.0 and rc.K scripts. They have a solution to ur problem.

Or u can write ur own "fsck -y" script to do so rather than u travel there. I suffered this kinda situation before.

Offline commandline

• Server Uptime
Re: SSH root password question
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 01:03:31 AM »
What do you mean it drops to the shell?

I'm impressed though going that extra mile just to type in the root psw! That's almost too hardcore.

Offline dragoncity99

• LST CareTaker
  • Experienced
Re: SSH root password question
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
What you will need is a remote  access card that can access the physical login console to that server. For example, Dell servers, have this thing called DRAC ( Dell Remote Access Card). That way you can save fuel, time and minimize down time.