March 29, 2024, 01:54:26 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Confused about DNS Server  (Read 4223 times)

Offline kenchix1

• Tux Awared
Confused about DNS Server
« on: April 23, 2004, 06:02:42 AM »
we have 3 servers all running RedHat 9:

1st is for authentication (samba), DHCP, NIS and DNS
2nd is for File server (samba)
3rd for squid proxy

1st and 2nd server is not allowed to connect to the internet. So the entries inside the DNS zone are the names of our computers in the network.

I read about the caching nameserver only and it seems that it will help a lot on load of the squid proxy.

my questions are :

If I setup and configure named in our squid proxy server (3rd server), will it conflict with our 1st server ?

If I setup and configure named in our squid proxy server, will it help us to browse the internet faster ?

can I remove the named.ca on the 1st server because it always broadcast and ask who got the ip addresses inside of named.ca

Thank you very much in advance.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 08:48:02 AM »
Simply. you don't need a caching nameserver !! y ? b'coz squid do internal caching for DNS ..
BTW.. if you set it as caching nameserver then it will improve browsing if you are using NAT.. on squid it will do no improvement.. may but that will be negligible.. To set up your squid machine as caching nameserver simply remove all the line from your resolv.conf and add "nameserver 127.0.0.1" and tell your client to use that machine as nameserver , ofcourse bind should be running on that machine also.

I will not conflict..
BTW.. for what purpose you have set DNS on ur first machine.. is it for local domain resolving ?

Offline kenchix1

• Tux Awared
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 02:48:34 AM »
Quote from: "Ricky"
Simply. you don't need a caching nameserver !! y ? b'coz squid do internal caching for DNS ..

thanks! :)

I will not conflict..
BTW.. for what purpose you have set DNS on ur first machine.. is it for local domain resolving ?

yes, I setup the first machine for local domain resolving. because if i didn't set it up like that, client can't determine the netbios name of other computers in our local network.

Thanks. :)