March 28, 2024, 06:12:02 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: _amd64?  (Read 6061 times)

Offline undoIT

• Linux Noob !
    • Linux Compatibility
_amd64?
« on: December 12, 2009, 03:37:31 PM »
Why do many Linux distros still refer to the 64-bit versions as amd64? It's not as if it isn't already confusing and intimidating enough for first-time Linux users.

Most people know whether they have an AMD or Intel chip in their computer. If somebody has an Intel chip, it is counterintuitive to see "amd64" in the file name of the download.

Why not x86_64?

Offline kaushalpatel1982

• LST CareTaker
  • Linux Learner
Re: _amd64?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 05:24:13 AM »
I dont know whether this is your frustration or enthusiasm but here you may find the answer of your question.

go through the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64.

Linux majorly supports and prefer AMD processors.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:25:45 AM by kaushalpatel1982 »

Offline undoIT

• Linux Noob !
    • Linux Compatibility
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:20:55 PM »
Thank you for the link. I had already read through that and it didn't explain to me specifically why certain distros are using AMD in the naming convention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#Industry_naming_conventions

It seems to me that Linux would be more concerned about catering to users than catering to a company. In my opinion, it is confusing for users to see amd mentioned for the 64bit version of the operating system which will work on both AMD and Intel based computers.

So, my question still is, why are certain distros using AMD as their naming convention when more generic terms exist, such as x86_64?

Offline donk

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 03:32:33 PM »
I found it confusing as well.  When I dug into this question I was told it is because AMD64 was the first 64 bit system and set the technical standards that are followed, so the name sticks around. 

Similarly, we all create .pdf files but don't have any Adobe software.

Don K

Offline kaushalpatel1982

• LST CareTaker
  • Linux Learner
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:41:53 PM »
Let's understand it this way. I can write what ever I want to. It does not matter whether it is AMD64 or x86_64. It will be installed on any of the CPU platform either it is AMD or INTEL. If anyone ask, Just tell them both are the same.  :)

Offline undoIT

• Linux Noob !
    • Linux Compatibility
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 04:34:14 AM »
Imagine you are new to Linux and you download a 64bit version. When you see the file on your desktop it says "amd64". You know you have an Intel chip. You think, "Did I download the wrong version? Is this specific for AMD computers?". And with that, the experience of Linux is already off to a bad start.

To me, this confusion is completely unnecessary and could be avoided by simply using a naming convention that is not brand specific.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:35:59 AM by undoIT »

Offline kaushalpatel1982

• LST CareTaker
  • Linux Learner
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 10:53:25 AM »
See, This is about standardization. What naming conventions used by distros doesn't matters. When you download anything you should cross aware about what you are downloading. Most of the distros now has their own forum. If someone do know about it which ISO they have to download, they must raise question there. Hopefully they received answer and solve their confusion.

Rather discussion over this topic we should provide our valuable time to solve other problem.

Offline undoIT

• Linux Noob !
    • Linux Compatibility
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 05:45:26 PM »
Fedora uses "x86_64" and Ubuntu uses "amd64", so the use of "amd64" is not about standardization.

It would take me no more than 5 seconds to select "amd" in the filename and replace it with "x86_". To me, this seems like a worthwhile investment of time to prevent any confusion that may be caused by seeing a specific brand in the distro filename.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:48:44 PM by undoIT »