April 24, 2024, 10:02:12 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Looking at buying a server or a PC, your thoughts?  (Read 2714 times)

Offline DrDigital

Looking at buying a server or a PC, your thoughts?
« on: October 02, 2009, 03:46:25 PM »
Hello all

As a noob I am wondering would you buy an actual server and install linux or a PC to run a web application for about 15 users?

Right now I am using a Pentium III Gateway running Red Hat and Lampp for a web based application.  It has been fine but with some slowness.  And over the years the number of users went from 3 to 15 and may increase even more.  I have been authorized to purchase a replacement.  Now do I buy a server without an OS and install Linux or do I buy a quad core PC and set that up as a linux server?  Any thoughts?

Also should it be raid or just use the regular SATA drive?

Please pass any thoughts you have.

Offline kaushalpatel1982

• LST CareTaker
  • Linux Learner
Re: Looking at buying a server or a PC, your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 04:53:12 AM »
When you have to choose between server or PC, It depends upon your requirement and budget. As you said you are using pentium III machine PC since long, I suggest not to go for server. Quad core PC is enough with 2 to 4 GB of memory for more then 100 users.

You have also asked for SATA or RAID. RAID is a fail over mechanism of HDD where SATA is HDD. You can configure SATA RAID to to save your data when any of the HDD goes crash. It is the best option when you configuring the server. But as I suggest you to go for PC, you have to buy SATA RAID controller card or Motherboard with it.