March 28, 2024, 07:19:17 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: How to access my Outside (live ip) form inside .  (Read 17855 times)

Offline Avin

• Linux Learner
  • L!nuX
How to access my Outside (live ip) form inside .
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:30:08 AM »
Hello All

I am confused  ??? about Why I can't access my live ip application from inside network. means My live ip 122.169.X.X which is running one Rails application on port  3050. the inside IP address of that application 192.168.1.12 port 3050.
      I have configured Router (NAT )to map this request to inside IP. (122.169.X.X:3050 to 192.168.1.12:3050) . I am successfully able to access application form outside but I am not able to access  the same application with Live URL (http://122.169.X.X:3050) from inside.  Any Solution to access the Live form inside.....Plz help

Avin Tokade

Offline pedro

• Linux Noob !
Re: How to access my Outside (live ip) form inside .
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 03:38:49 PM »
To see what the outside world sees from the network inside, you need to access your inside address: 192.168.1.12, in this case.

If you try to access your external ip from the inside network, you probably end up connecting to your router. If that's the case, you would need to configure the router so it maps the outside ip for requests coming from the inside also... but I've found this option way too complicated and not worth the effort. I always end up using the internal 192.168... address.

Another option is to use the hosts file or an internal dns server that manages the public domain for the internal network... but again, in my opinion, this is way too complicated when you can just use the 192.168... address.

Hope that helps,

Pedro.

Offline Avin

• Linux Learner
  • L!nuX
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 06:50:21 AM »
Thanks for the Reply...  :)

I tried to post entry in hosts file it's not working .
I just want to check the performance of my application from live IP. If I use local IP (192.168.1.12) then my traffic will not pass through my Airtel Router. That's why I want to access my application through Live IP. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If that's the case, you would need to configure the router so it maps the outside ip for requests coming from the inside also...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have Airtel ADSL Normal router which don't have the functionality for NAT for internal to external.  :(

Any other Solution ? ???

Offline pedro

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
Hi Avin, you're welcome!

Why didn't the host file work? please provide more info. You only need to add in the client you want to do the testing from, a line like the following:
192.168.1.12   your_public_name.com

In my opinion, even if you access your application through the router from your local network, you wouldn't get a real feel of what your outside users get. The main bottle neck here is your DSL connection. Is it ADSL or symmetric DSL? In case of ADSL, your download bandwidth is usually bigger than your upload bandwidth, so from your users perspective, their requests reach you fast, but the content of the pages do it much slower.

What about a public proxy server in your area? That would give you a rough idea on the performance of your web app from the public's perspective.

Good luck!

Offline Avin

• Linux Learner
  • L!nuX
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 04:25:24 AM »
Hello Pedro, Thanks again for your reply, :)

I post following entry in Hosts file.
122.169.X.X       mumbaiproxy.com

But is still giving me the same error.
---------------------------------
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at mumbaiproxy.com:3050.
*   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
    *   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    *   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.   
----------------------------------------------------------

Is it ADSL or symmetric DSL?
It's ADSL  (2 MB Speed)

What about a public proxy server in your area?
I tried some free proxy for my work that's giving me access to my external IP from inside but it's too slow and lot's of adds pop-up on screen. Do you have any good proxy which is fast and without adds ?

Avin..
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:28:24 AM by Avin »

Offline pedro

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:21:56 AM »
Hi Avin!

I post following entry in Hosts file.
122.169.X.X       mumbaiproxy.com
---------------------------------
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at mumbaiproxy.com:3050.

That's what is supposed to happen, you are connecting to the router, and it's not forwarding your requests to the server. I told you to add a line like the following:
192.168.1.12   mumbaiproxy.com
You need to put there the same ip address the router uses for NAT, not the public address.

It's ADSL  (2 MB Speed)

I don't know where you live, but here in Spain, the 2Mbps ADSL usually have 128kbps for the upload bandwidth, which is the maximum speed your users will get... as long as you don't have too many users :P

Do you have any good proxy which is fast and without adds ?

I see you're using Firefox... good ;), I recommend you to check the add-on Foxyproxy, and their website, they have a list of public proxies: http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org With this add-on, you can use a proxy just for that site.

HTH,

Pedro.

Offline Avin

• Linux Learner
  • L!nuX
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »
Hi Pedro

Thanks for the information, but If I post following entry (192.168.1.12       mumbaiproxy.com) in hosts file then It's work perfectly but actually I used  LAN IP(192.168.1.12). I want to access same application by Live IP (122.169.X.X:3050) which I use from outside .

I am from India.. and I think my ADSL Line also same speed (Download 2.20 Mb/s and Upload 0.86 Mb/s)

We are using Linux Server ( Operating system is Linux RHEL-4) as a gateway  and I am also using IPTABLES for my  some filtering work, So Is it possible in IPTABLES to redirect my internal traffic to act as external traffic.

Thanks for Foxyproxy  ..:)    It's really cool... 8)

Avin Tokade