March 28, 2024, 11:54:50 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: grup loader  (Read 4987 times)

Offline rk

grup loader
« on: July 24, 2009, 10:18:04 AM »
i have xp and fedora core 8 in my system. xp is my primary os. now a days i am getting the problem in booting. when grub boot loader starts, after choosing xp option it shows,
title windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

then cursor blinks. but linux is working properly. what might be the problem. i dont know what to do.. can someone help me out of this..
thanks in advance,
r.k

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Re: grup loader
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:04:28 PM »
It is unable to find windows xp boot data.

Solution can be simple, just fix windows boot by "windows recovery", it is done by booting windows installation cd and then goto recovery mode and then run command.. fixmbr and fixboot

It will over write your grub, now you need to restore grub, for that now run Linux LIVE CD, any live cd like ubuntu and then run command
Code: [Select]
grub-install /dev/hdaIt will restore grub and you should be now able to boot both OS.

Above solution is simplest one and works always.

Offline rk

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:01:15 AM »
k sir. thanks. but the problem is my laptop doesn't boots from cd ( i inserted bootable disk only). it hangs after that message
"set up is inspecting computer configuration........."

my cd/dvd drive is working perfectly. but fails to load the OS setup files after the above message. i was waiting for long time. but nothing had happened. could you solve this sir....
regards,
radhakrishnan

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:37:11 PM »
Are you sure that CD is not damaged ?

Do you have SATA disk ? Most probably WindowsXP dosn't have proper SATA support, you have to include SATA driver in XP installation CD. It is called slipstream. Or consult some experience person do that for you.

Offline rk

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 03:50:12 AM »
thank u sir. the CD is good ( no damages). let me try to install SATA driver... get back to you later...
regards,
r.k