March 28, 2024, 05:28:32 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: ubuntu does not see Windows server  (Read 5420 times)

Offline healer

• Linux Noob !
ubuntu does not see Windows server
« on: June 30, 2009, 12:54:25 AM »
I have two hard disks in the computer. The disk 0 has 3 partitions, i.e. WinMe Fat 32, XPPro NTFS, and a Fat 32 for storing data. The disk 1 also had 3 partitions prior to ubuntu, Win2KPro, W2kSrv2000 and W2kSrv2003. I created 2 partitions on disk1, i.e. ext3 and swap for the ubuntu installation. I had been multi-booting among all the Windows OSes. After ubuntu came in I lost access to both servers. When trying to get in I got error messages for both servers "<Windows root>\System32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file.".

If my memory serves me correctly, I installed lilo on linux root but then I couldn't booted into anything.  I would appreciate if I can set up the system to be able to boot into all partitions.  It is a computer for me to do research and testing.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Re: ubuntu does not see Windows server
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:15:35 AM »
Did you install Lilo Manually ?

And btw, why you are using LILO when everybody knows that GRUB is better.

FIrst of all fix booting fo windows 2Kserv2003 by booting it its installation cd or simply doing repair via repair console (that is windows thing). This way, you will be able to boot all windows. After that install grub in MBR using Ubuntu LIVE ie.running it directly from CD. Then hopefully you will be able to boot all OS.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:17:25 AM by Ricky »

Offline healer

• Linux Noob !
Re: ubuntu does not see Windows server
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:18:43 AM »
I didn't install Lilo manually.  I specifically mentioned Lilo because I had read somewhere that Lilo was more accommodating to Windows, that is readily works with Windows.

I tried Grub and it didn't work, then I tried Lilo.  I tried installing on first boot partition and also the Linux partition.  When I didn't install on the first boot partition my Windows partitions wouldn't work.  I went through all the permutation by reinstalling the ubuntu again and again, the server version and desktop version.

For some reason I couldn't fix the booting problems with the two Windows servers after going through the recovery console, copying the alleged corrupted files and did a fixboot and a fixmbr.  In the meantime I am reinstalling the Windows servers again.

In order to preserve all my Windows setup I probably have to get the ubuntu to boot using a floppy when I find out how to.  However the ubuntu install process does not give me an option of creating a boot floppy and I don't want to re-install the ubuntu until I am sure it won't muck up my Windows partitions.  I will let the ubuntu partitions sit there and see how I could salvage it without compromising my Windows partitions.