March 29, 2024, 09:59:49 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Grub 17 error  (Read 5096 times)

Offline n2009

Grub 17 error
« on: June 29, 2009, 03:15:44 AM »
I had two operating system installed on one hard drive on my laptop. One was window xp home addition and the other was debian gnu/linux 5.0.1. After using linux for few days I wanted to delete my linux partition to get more space for xp files. so I deleted the partion on which linux was install using the windows computer managment tool. After booting the computer i got grub 17 error. I can't use window xp cd to fix MBR becuase booting from cd gives me "PXE-EG1 media test failure check cable". I don't know a lot about linux so i need your help in solving this. Any help is appreciated.

Offline govi

Re: Grub 17 error
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »
I had two operating system installed on one hard drive on my laptop. One was window xp home addition and the other was debian gnu/linux 5.0.1. After using linux for few days I wanted to delete my linux partition to get more space for xp files. so I deleted the partion on which linux was install using the windows computer managment tool. After booting the computer i got grub 17 error. I can't use window xp cd to fix MBR becuase booting from cd gives me "PXE-EG1 media test failure check cable". I don't know a lot about linux so i need your help in solving this. Any help is appreciated.

hi please try it,
boot from windows xp cd,
then go to repair mode ,in there you got command prompt,from here you can install bootloader.

Offline n2009

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 06:45:43 AM »
thanks,
I couldn't boot form the xp cd that came with my computer. I tried all the solution that were on google but none of them work. So I Just install xp using another xp cd and then reinstall the one that came with my PC.

Offline muyisco

• Linux Noob !
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
it looks like you have solved your problem but just a friendly tip for any eventuality, you might want to check out a little know amazing software known as "grub super disk" or "super grub disk". it is a mini OS which you can burn onto a CD and use it to restore your grub in case it is not booting anymore. amazingly, you can also use it to restore your windows booting if you happen to have problem with the mbr or as a result of deleting linux partition and losing grub in d process. it is only about 3mb. i found it somewhere on softpedia. if you go to softpedia.com and do a search for it, you'll find it there. the only draw back is that it might be difficult to use at first but when you get the hang of it, it is an amazing software and i use it regularly to solve problems like the one you described here on people's computers.