March 28, 2024, 07:19:06 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: HELP: linux with windows bootloader  (Read 5793 times)

Offline bob23646

• Linux Noob !
HELP: linux with windows bootloader
« on: March 04, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »
im fairly new at linux but i know alot. i use puppy linux and plan on using ubuntu. my problem is that i have 2 hard drives, one with win98 and partitioning it to put ubuntu on it, and the other has winXP media center edition with a partition used for storage. instead of using lilo or grub, i want to use the win98 bootloader to boot win98, cd drive or puppy, ubuntu and winXP. i know the win98 has to be set as tme master drive with the winXP as slave and also know how to add the win98, winXP, and cd drive to the boot.ini file and it all works perfectly fine - i just dont know how to add ubuntu to the list. i am willing to reinstall win98 and winXP and ubuntu. HELP ME!!!   
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:25:21 PM by bob23646 »

Offline _khAttAm_

• Linux Noob !
    • The _khAttAm_ Blog
Re: HELP: linux with windows bootloader
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 12:24:41 AM »
you can use Loadlin to load Linux from DOS. You can boot into Windows 98 from DOS as well. I don't know how to boot Windows XP from DOS. I don't think it is impossible, but I don't know how.

So, install DOS in the Drive where you have Windows 98 and create options for it.

And by the way, what is the problem with using grub?

Offline bob23646

• Linux Noob !
Re: about grub
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:43:55 PM »
i dont want to mess around with the mbr. besides that, i had it on a cd with puppy linux and i could not get puppy linux to boot. there was no menu, just a command prompt. i looked at all the commands and did everything necessary to boot but it still wouldnt work. ever since then i have despised grub.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
Re: HELP: linux with windows bootloader
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 06:01:14 PM »
You should use grub. Its good and reliable .. I use it all the time and it allows you to do many things if something is messed. Anyways, don't consider first impression as last impression for GRUB. May be something was not right at that time