March 28, 2024, 04:55:45 PM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: Ubuntu duel boot issues, Please help.  (Read 5519 times)

Offline fakebird

Ubuntu duel boot issues, Please help.
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:47:31 AM »
Im currently running Windows 7(64) on my laptop and i wanted to duel boot Ubuntu. Im having a problem on step 4 of 7 of installation, the partition step. I shrunk my C drive so that i have 10GB of free space to make an ubuntu partition. So when i go to manual partition install i have it set to make a new partition for ubuntu out of the 10gb free space. when i press forward it gives me an error message with something along the lines of "No defined root something. change this is the partitions menu." I am very new to linux and have NO idea what to do at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Fakebird

Offline drsubhadip

Re: Ubuntu duel boot issues, Please help.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 03:44:08 PM »
do not do any thing on c drive..
use any other drive..
the problem will solve..

Offline _khAttAm_

• Linux Noob !
    • The _khAttAm_ Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 07:42:09 PM »
^ignore the above post. sorry if i sound rude.

When you create a partition, leave the other options as they are and set the mount point to /. Thats it.

Also, you will like to create another partition as a swap partition about twice the size of your RAM. The swap works like pagefile in Windows.

Also, you should allocate a little more space, about 20 GB or so for Linux if you wish to install more programs later.

Offline Avin

• Linux Learner
  • L!nuX
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »
Don't Install Ubuntu on on C Drive.
Just make one folder name Ubuntu in any partition with sufficient space and use wubi to install Ubuntu as application. It's very helpful whenever you want to remove ubuntu just remove from control panel. 
I hope it's help for you.......

Avin.......