March 29, 2024, 10:30:52 AM

News : LinuxSolved.com Linux Help Community Forum..

Author Topic: FTP, IP problem with Transparent proxy and NAT  (Read 7324 times)

Offline kenchix1

• Tux Awared
FTP, IP problem with Transparent proxy and NAT
« on: April 06, 2004, 03:18:33 AM »
I had a problem before with the NAT and transparent proxy. Now, everything seems to be working fine. I can go anywhere and the squid proxy logs every activity that i made on the internet. But there is something i noticed, when I logged in to my website and post a message, I noticed that the IP log on the website is using my INTERNAL IP ADDRESS ! Im not sure if its really should be that way, but when i tried cuteftp on port 21, it gave me an error :

Code: [Select]
COMMAND:> USER kenchix1
331 User yourstuffs okay, need password.
COMMAND:> PASS ******
230-You are user #26 of 350 simultaneous users allowed.
230-
230 Restricted user logged in.
COMMAND:> TYPE I
200 Type okay.
COMMAND:> REST 100
350 Will attempt to restart at position 100.
COMMAND:> REST 0
350 Will attempt to restart at position 0.
COMMAND:> pwd
257 "/" is cwd.
COMMAND:> TYPE A
200 Type okay.
COMMAND:> PORT 192,168,1,11,5,71
550 Data connection must go to same host as control connection.

it said Data connection must go to same host as control connection, and i can't see the directories in the site.

Im really lost, i don't really know what's wrong now. is it the squid ? the NAT ? the cuteftp ?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 07:03:52 AM »
It is CuteFTP .. You have to enable Passive mod for FTP in cute ftp. go and find that if are not able to find that in cuteftp then ask again..

Offline kenchix1

• Tux Awared
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 07:26:46 AM »
WOW! it worked ! :) I enabled the PASV mode. i don't know what PASV mode means. :D

Thank you sir ricky! :) btw, does transparent proxy really logs internal IP addresses  ?

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 08:46:48 AM »
well.. when u use passive mod then server tells your ftp that on which port he is going to accept connection and in normal mod it only uses port 21 for data connection.
, when I logged in to my website and post a message, I noticed that the IP log on the website is using my INTERNAL IP ADDRESS
Sorry but i don't understand that wht you r saying about internal ip loggin can u explain me in diff. way wht u are askin ?

Offline kenchix1

• Tux Awared
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 07:44:53 AM »
Example is this : (IP addresses are fictitious only)
our local area network DHCP server, gave me a network address of 192.168.1.105 whenever i login. we only have 1 internet connection which we share to some users and it has static address of  200.100.100.10

Before, when were using Windows Proxy, whenever I post message into my website, the ip address that were being logged in the website is the 200.100.100.10. Wherever I create transactions, (ex. bank transaction where ip log is needed) they show me that my ip address is 200.100.100.10.

But after we transfered to squid running under linux as proxy server and enabled the transparent proxying, whenever i post a message to my website, or do bank transactions, it tells me that my ip address is the 192.168.1.105 which is my internal IP address for our local network.

For example, before when i post message in this forum, the administrator will see the logged ip for this message is 200.100.100.10 , but after using the squid proxy/transaparent proxying, he now see that my ip address is 192.168.1.105, which is the assigned ip address for my computer in our local network.

Thank you sir.

Offline Ricky

• LST CareTaker
  • Specially Skilled
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 03:32:41 PM »
Well when you see your access.log  you will that it is showing that which internal address (client) is trying to connect to which one.. It shows internal address and external but not external IP.. YOu can do it to do so.. but i have not done that but have seen that how to customize squid logging.. but not remember where.. :)